Ljubljana is a vibrant capital city with rich history and culture. The architecture is astonishing, and Ljubljana’s cobblestone streets are made for long walks. The city and its surroundings offer many ways to spend the time when visiting the capital of Slovenia. Here is a list of the 8 best things to do, that will make your stay in Ljubljana unforgettable.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Visit Ljubljana Castle
The magnificent Ljubljana Castle is located just above the city, on top of Castle Hill. The castle can be reached on foot or by taking the tram, which opens up gorgeous views of Ljubljana and its surroundings. The castle offers an intriguing guided tour, “Time Machine,” taking visitors through the six most significant periods of Ljubljana’s past. This and other tours they offer, make Ljubljana Castle a great attraction for history lovers. The courtyard café and restaurant offer a nice spot to relax before heading back down to Ljubljana city center.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Relax in Tivoli Park
Ljubljana’s largest park is located just steps away from the city center. It offers many activities including tennis courts, mini golf, a bowling alley, and several locations reserved for children. In the middle of the park, there is Jakopič Promenade, where large-format photographs are exhibited throughout the year. For the thirsty and hungry there are a few cafés and bars. Visitors can also bring a blanket and, just like the locals, enjoy a picnic with friends on a sunny day.
Have lunch at Open Kitchen Market
Every Friday from early spring to the late autumn, Open Kitchen Market is the best option for lunch in Ljubljana. The Open Kitchen presents the best foods from Slovenia and around the world and wineries and breweries from all over the country offer their best drinks to compliment the food. Hugely popular among locals, visiting this market is a great place to get good food and make new friends.
Stand up paddling on Ljubljanica river
Standup paddling, SUPing, is becoming a more and more popular activity in Slovenia. Ljubljana is the only European capital that offers its visitors this unique way to explore the city. Stand up paddling on Ljubljanica provides an excellent way to see the city and its main attractions. For those who want the river views, but wish to see them in a more traditional way, there are also several boat tours offered on the Ljubljanica river.
Spend a day visiting museums and galleries
Rainy (or sunny) days are a great opportunity to visit Ljubljana’s galleries and museums. Art lovers should stop by the National Gallery or Gallery of Modern Arts to admire some of the best Slovenian artwork. The Slovene Ethnographic Museum introduces Slovene people, their culture, and traditions. One of the more interesting museums is the Museum of Illusions, where visitors can learn how easily our brains can be tricked. These are just a few of the many museums and galleries where visitors can learn more about the history and culture of Ljubljana and Slovenia.
Enjoy an afternoon on the river bank
Ljubljana is a city of coffee lovers. On the riverbank of Ljubjanica, there are numerous cafés with great views of the river. Stopping at one of the cafés is a great way for visitors to start their day or to take a break while exploring the city. . As most of them offer beer, wine, and spirits, cafés are also a popular choice for the evening.
Attend a concert in Križanke
Not many concert venues have a history as unique as Križanke. The most well-known outdoor venue in Ljubljana was a convent for priests and seminarians until the mid-twentieth-century. At that time, local authorities assigned Jožef Plečnik (the most known Slovenian architect of all time), to remodel the convent into a cultural venue. Since then, Križanke has hosted many great names from the world of music and theater. One of the most important is the international festival, Druga Godba. For over thirty years this festival has been introducing the less “well-known” artists and their music from across the globe to the audience of Central Europe.
Spend an evening in Metelkova Mesto
Located in the old army barracks, Metelkova Mesto (Metelkova City) is a popular hangout for local youth and those young at heart. Events happening all year round at this Autonomous Cultural Center create the illusion that this city, within a city, never sleeps. Metelkova is home to an art gallery, bars, artists’ studios, designer’s spaces, offices of cultural organizations, concerts venues, and a youth hostel. Besides individual events, Metelkova also hosts annual festivals such as the International Festival of Contemporary Arts – the City of Women, which takes place every year in October.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.