Slovakia is famous for its stunning natural landscapes, gorgeous mountain ranges, a multitude of hiking opportunities and high-quality ski resorts. Many serene rural escapes lie just an hour or two away from large cities Bratislava and Kosice. If you’re looking for a perfect destination – with an even better view – to get away from it all, check out one of these beautiful escapes in rural Slovakia – now bookable on Culture Trip.
Grand Hotel Kempski, High Tatras
If you’re craving luxurious surroundings, top-notch pampering options, and an incredible view from your window, the Grand Hotel Kempski in the High Tatras is the place to go. This five-star hotel in Slovakia offers rooms and suites with breathtaking views of the High Tatras and the Strbske Pleso mountain lake. Multiple restaurants and bars are located on the property, also with stunning views of the surrounding nature. You can head out to the mountains to hike or ski or stay in and relax in the Zion Luxury Spa, which offers a large pool and relaxation area with views out to the shores of the mountain lake, as well as a full range of treatments including massages, facials, and pedicures. To enjoy the best of Slovak outdoors and luxury accommodation book your stay at the Grand Hotel Kempski.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Centrally located in Sliac, in the very centre of Slovakia, you’ll find one of the nicest wellness resorts in the country. Hotel Kaskady offers thermal indoor and outdoor pools, several saunas, and a full-service spa with massages, wraps, and facials. Therapists from Sri Lanka offer special services at the Ayurveda Siddhalepa Spa, and the hotel serves a special Ayurvedic dietary menu daily. The remote setting of the hotel makes it the perfect place for a relaxing getaway, but if you feel like sightseeing, historic towns Banska Bystrica, Zvolen, and Kremnica are all within 20 minutes of the hotel.
If you aren’t concerned about luxury and would like to enjoy a retreat closer to nature, the historic Bilikova chalet offers 13 rooms set directly on the hiking paths of the High Tatras. Set at 1,255 meters, the Bilikova chalet has been welcoming guests since 1875. However, the current building was only put into operation in 1934. The hotel is easily accessible at only 100 meters from Hrebienok Stop of Tatra Electric Railway. This enviable location provides guests with easy access to mountain biking, hiking, and gorgeous panoramas of the incredible nature just outside the chalet’s door.
Grand Hotel Praha
The Grand Hotel Praha is an Art Nouveau masterpiece built in 1905 at the base of Mount Lomnicky in the High Tatras. It was built during the construction boom of several luxury hotels for European aristocrats in the Tatras more than 100 years ago. Grand Hotel Praha was the first hotel which remained open year round, welcoming summer and winter sport enthusiasts to Slovakia’s highest mountain range. Today, the hotel’s unique architectural style makes it a popular spot for weddings and other family celebrations. Grand Hotel Praha is a boutique hotel with a lovely historic flair, surrounded by greenery and beautiful mountain views.
Castle Hotel Galicica Nueva
The Castle Hotel Galicia Nueva is a four-star gem located in the south-central part of Slovakia. Untouched by mass tourism, the hotel prides itself as an ideal family event space and offers ample meeting space for events; including incredible romantic weddings held directly in the on-site chapel. An onsite restaurant, wine bar, cafe, and cigar lounge offer evening recreation opportunities, and during the day guests can relax in the wellness center or go for a stroll in the French-inspired park with a small lake. You’ll be surrounded by history in a remote location near the Hungarian border, we won’t be surprised if you don’t want to leave this place!
Danubius Health Spa Resort Hotel Thermia Palace
If mountains aren’t your priority and relaxation is your goal, the five-star Danubius Health Spa Resort Hotel Thermia Palace is highly recommended for its unique ambience. Also a product of Art Nouveau, the Thermia Palace is located on the banks of the Hron River in the spa town of Piestany, an easy drive from Bratislava. With multiple opportunities for dining and recreation on site, you won’t ever need to leave the hotel during your stay. Daily at 5 o’clock, guests can gather in Cafe Alexander for a complimentary afternoon tea and cookies. The charm and personality of this luxurious spa resort in Slovakia will impress even the most demanding guests.
Originally built in 1721, the Manor-house Mojmirovce now serves as a three-star hotel in Slovakia surrounded by a regal historic park, perfect for enjoying a stroll after lounging in the modern wellness center. Guests can embark on several nice nature trails in the surrounding area, including one trail which leads to old castle ruins atop a hill. The Baroque Manor-house Mojmirovce is easily accessible at only an hour’s drive away from Bratislava, but surprisingly secluded for being so nearby to the capital. Another splendidly renovated historic hotel offering boutique accommodation in remote settings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.