Slovakia has a long history of running races. In fact, this small country hosts two record-holding events annually; the oldest road race and the oldest marathon in Europe. Running a race in Slovakia gives you a chance to go from being a tourist, to being a traveler by participating in a local event. Here’s our top picks of the most epic races to run in Slovakia.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Kosice Peace Marathon
The Kosice Peace Marathon is one of the most popular marathons in Slovakia, and also one of the most famous in Europe. Since 1924, runners have been flocking to Kosice in October to participate in the oldest marathon in Europe. You will receive lots of local support and encouragement along the course and at the water stations. The Kosice Peace Marathon organizers also do a great job of making the race weekend a fun event for participants and their families. There is a kids run, a pasta party, and the White Night, a celebration of contemporary art in Kosice on the Saturday evening before the race.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The CSOB Bratislava Marathon
The CSOB Bratislava Marathon is a great way to see the diverse areas of Slovakia’s capital while also working up a sweat. The marathon involves two loops around the half marathon course, so if you are keen to run for just two hours, but still have the feel of participating in a huge athletic event, then sign up for the half! The race is held annually in April and the course begins at Eurovea Shopping Center on the Danube River near the historic Old Town. After circling through some of the suburbs, the course leads directly through the pedestrian areas of Bratislava’s beautiful Old Town. You will also cross over the Danube River to run through a large park on the Petrzalka side of the river before crossing via another bridge on your way to the finish line. If you enjoy races which combine sightseeing, you will love the CSOB Bratislava Marathon!
The Chopok Eliminator
The Chopok Eliminator is an eagerly anticipated race which will take place in June 2018 in the Jasna Low Tatras holiday resort (on the same slopes that professional skiers raced down during the Ski World Cup in 2016). The race distance is 400 meters, but the elevation change is 110 meters. To attract families, the race organizers will also offer kids events such as a long jump and obstacle course race. Register early and bring the whole family for a lovely vacation in Slovakia’s Low Tatra mountains.
The Banska Bystrica Marathon
The Banska Bystrica Marathon features a full marathon course, a half marathon, a barefoot half marathon, a mini marathon and a relay. All races begin in the heart of Banska Bystrica, the SNP Square. Runners navigate past the pretty pastel buildings in the old town before touring the neighborhoods of the largest city in the center of Slovakia. After the race, celebrate your success with large amounts of delicious food at the picturesque Bistro Dukat – Le Gout, or dance the night away at Ministry of Fun, Slovakia’s largest night club.
National Run Devin – Bratislava
The National Run Devin – Bratislava is another race in the record books; this time as the oldest ever organized road race. The run was first held in 1921, making it Slovakia’s oldest athletic event, even older than the Kosice Peace Marathon. The 10 kilometer race starts at the historic Devin medieval castle, just north of Bratislava. Participants race alongside the Danube back to Bratislava. Every year, around 5,000 to 6,000 runners take part in this scenic race.
New Year’s run over the Bratislava Bridges
The New Year’s run over the Bratislava Bridges is a fun way to fit in some exercise on the last day of the year. The 10 kilometer course winds back and forth over the Danube River on Bratislava’s bridges. You will cross over eight bridges; perhaps the most iconic being the SNP (or UFO) bridge. The race is held in the morning on December 31, so you’ll still have plenty of time for a nap before hitting one of Bratislava’s cosy pubs or wild nightclubs to ring in the New Year!
Tatry Running Tour
Those who love trail running in the mountains with gorgeous scenery all around should not miss the Tatry Running Tour, a three day celebration of trail running held in June in the High Tatra mountains. The event kicks off with a five kilometer night run on Friday evening, then continues with your choice of a 12 kilometer Cross Run or a 34 kilometer Sky & Clouds Run. If you can skill move your legs on Sunday, there is an eight kilometer InterSki Run. All races begin in Štrbské Pleso, a picturesque small town situated near a beautiful mountain lake.
The Run Slovakia
One of the most epic team relays is held in Slovakia annually in June. Teams participating in the Full edition will cover 534 kilometers from Kosice to Bratislava during three full days. Teams can also choose to participate in just the East edition of 291 kilometers from Kosice to Teplička nad Váhom or the West edition of 243 kilometers from Teplička nad Váhom to Bratislava. Team members run through small villages and big cities, overnight, as they cross the country. If you are looking for a race which will provide an unforgettable experience as a part of a team and reveal some of the most scenic areas of Slovakia, The Run Slovakia is worth traveling for.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.