One of the largest cities in Western Serbia, Valjevo has produced many of the nation’s most notable individuals over the years. This is a town of history and culture, full of sights and sounds that will surprise even the most jaded of tourists in the Balkans.
Delight at Valjevo’s prettiest street
Is this the prettiest street in the country? It may well be. All visitors to Valjevo make an immediate beeline for Tešnjar, the part of the city that still preserves its Ottoman-era aesthetic. This was once the centre of town, a bustling open-air theatre of craft and culture lit up by the gossip of the locals and the trade of everyone else. Many of the establishments on the street have long since shut their doors, but Tešnjar remains the most impressive attraction in Valjevo.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tragic history in the city centre
It isn’t unusual for a Serbian town to come with a somewhat grim history, but Valjevo’s misery can be traced back to long before the horrors of World War II. It was here that the First Serbian Uprising began, albeit under fairly tragic circumstances. In an attempt to curb the growing feeling of rebellion, the Ottoman janissaries embarked on a campaign of slaughter against the dukes and nobles of Serbian. It soon became known as the Slaughter of the Knezes, and was every bit as horrible as that sounds
The oldest preserved building in the city also happens to be where two of the most important dukes were held hostage before being executed. Aleksa Nenadović and Ilija Birčanin spent their last hours in the basement of the Muselim’s Konak, and a permanent exhibition to the two Serbian uprisings is now found in their stead.
The dictionary definition of defiance
High above Valjevo sits Vidrak hill, home to a large memorial park full of sculptures and monuments. One of the most impressive statues in the country is found here, itself a dedication to one of the greatest showings of defiance in modern history. On this spot in 1942, Stjepan Filipović was executed by the occupying Nazi army. Before being sent to his death, Filipović threw his arms in the air and screamed ‘smrt fašizmu, sloboda narodu’ (‘death to fascism, freedom to the nation’). A photo just so happened to be taken at the same time, and an iconic image of defiance was born.
Explore the symbols of Valjevo
There are many symbols of this impressive town, and the Nenadović Tower is one of the most recognisable. It was built in 1813 by the duke of the same name, but it was occupied by the Ottomans less than a year into its existence. It thus became a prison, before being rebuilt as a tower following liberation in 1836.
Eat until you can’t eat any more
Valjevo is as Serbian as towns get, and as such it is no surprise to find a wide mix of impressive cafés and restaurants here. The town does surprise when it comes to the quality of its pizzerias, but the traditional restaurants are well and truly where the value resides. Kraljević Marko may well be the best, an authentic Serbian eatery with old paintings on the walls and fresh treasures on the menu.
Dance the night away at a festival
The city of Valjevo plays host to a number of impressive festivals throughout the year, many of which take place in the idyllic street of Tešnjar. Tešnjar Nights might be the most well known, but May’s Valjevo Jazz Festival might just nip ahead of it in our own rankings. The Tobacco Pork Greaves Festival isn’t far behind, although your enjoyment will depend on how much you are interested in trying the product known as ‘Serbian caviar’.
Savour a pint of Valjevsko
It doesn’t have the modern charm of Zaječarsko of the traditional marketing might of Lav and Jelen, but Valjevo’s native beer remains king in these parts. Valjevsko is a refreshingly light lager, and is found in any city establishment worth its salt. Valjevo is obviously the best place in which to try and pint of the golden liquid, and don’t miss out on the opportunity when in town.
Discover artistic treasure
The Modern Gallery in Valjevo is one of the best in country, thanks largely to the impressive work of Ljuba Popović. Ljuba was a Serbian realist painter who spent most of his life in Paris, which may well have had an influence on his unashamedly erotic creations. Many of these can be seen in Valjevo’s National Gallery, along with some fine works from other important Serbian artists.
Stroll through the city centre
Valjevo is a lively town, and the best place to experience that energy is the pedestrian streets called Vojvode Mišića. People young and old will invariably stroll up and down this spot from early in the morning until late at night, stopping only to engage in conversation or maybe for a coffee at one of the ubiquitous cafés. Valjevo is a historic city of defiance and tragedy, but its modern heart is found on the street named after its most famous general.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.