It truly is a heartbreaking conundrum. You want to visit every city, town and village on the planet, immerse yourself in local culture and became a true citizen of the world. But gaining that understanding takes a lifetime and none of us are immortal, so sometimes 48 hours will just have to do. With that in mind, here’s the best way to get the most out of Belgrade with just two days at your disposal.
Here, everything begins at the horse. Republic Square is a meeting point for Belgraders of all ages, so where better to start your exploration of the city? The National Theatre and National Museum are also here, although the latter has been closed for the better part of a decade.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The spiritual centre of Belgrade
Head away from the square in the direction of Terazije and the monolithic Church of Saint Sava will come into view. The structure is the biggest church in the region, and the unfinished interior gives it a haunting feel. After the spiritual experience of Saint Sava, slip into the nearby Nikola Tesla Museum to check out the colossal power of invention.
When you are done gawping at the incredible mind of the Serbian inventor, head back towards Republic Square and Knez Mihailova street. This is the nerve centre of Belgrade, the main street where people come to be seen. There are plenty of options for lunch, with Burger House a great option for burger fans.
A mighty fortress with a romantic side
At the end of Knez Mihailova lies Kalemegdan, the old Belgrade Fortress and park that is full of gems, such as the Military Museum (easily found thanks to all the tanks). There is no better place to catch the sunset, and the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers makes for an invigoratingly romantic scene.
Savamala once held court as the top spot in the city to dance the night away, but the construction of the controversial Belgrade Waterfront project has changed this. KC Grad is still a lively hub of activity and excitement, however.
Start day two at Meduza, a splendid cafe by Belgrade’s only mosque. Head to the transport hub called Zeleni Venac, jump on the number 15 or 84 and visit Zemun, a real town within a city. Trek up Gardoš for another astounding view of the town and the Danube.
A meat-lover’s paradise
Zemun offers plenty of lunchtime options, but save yourself for the gastronomical delights of New Belgrade. Built in 1948 to sate Tito’s desire for a major capital, there is good food everywhere. Durmitor is an absolute must for meat lovers. Back in the heart of the city, be sure to give yourself time for a stroll in Tašmajdan Park. Here we find St. Mark’s Church, one of the most aesthetically impressive structures in the country.
The ‘Bohemian’ Quarter
If there is any room left after Durmitor, pick a restaurant on Skadarska street (known colloquially as Skadarlija), Belgrade’s ‘Bohemian’ quarter. More like a street than a quarter, the restaurants are filled with the strains of live music sas a mobile troupe of musicians serenade visitors.
Next to Skadarlija is the new beating heart of Belgrade’s nightlife. Until recently, Cetinjska was little more than a street with a car park. But the park has been transformed and is now home to a variety of bars and clubs. You can’t go wrong with any of them.
If there is time, check out the man-made lake called Ada, a summer spot that can easily take up a full day. Tito’s mausoleum and the Museum of Yugoslavia are also in the city.
Or perhaps you could always go back to Durmitor for seconds.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.