There is history to be found all over Serbia, but cities don’t come much more important than the medieval capital of Kruševac. There is more than just history waiting to be discovered in the city’s surroundings, however, with plenty of nature and wine (delicious, delicious wine) also hanging around.
Less than 300 people live in the tiny village of Ribarska Banja, but it isn’t famous as a place of residency anyway. It is home to yet another fine Serbian spa, one that comes complete with healing waters and buckets of tranquility. As popular for recreational reasons as it is medicinal, Ribarsksa Banja is just 30km away from Kruševac and represents a chance to get away from the development and chaos of the bigger city. The idyllic location within lush vegetation isn’t bad either.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just 20km or so away from Kruševac, Jastrebac is the most densely forested mountain in this part of the world. This is one of the most popular hiking destinations in the city, with mountain walkers of all skills descending on the big hill in an attempt to scale the 1,491 metres up to the Velika Đulica peak. There is also plenty of mountain biking available, making this a must-visit for adrenaline junkies, although do keep your eyes peeled for the various beasts that roam the forests.
Another stunning 14th-century Serbian monastery, Ljubostinja comes with a little bit of added romance. It may be the stuff of legend, but it was here that Princess Milica met and fell in love with her future husband, Prince Lazar. The monastery’s moniker continues the theme, essentially translating as ‘the place of love’, and this famous spot has been the location for some of the most gorgeous prose in the long history of Serbian poetry. About fifty nuns preserve the monastery today, but love is well and truly (well, kind of) in the air.
Serbia is a surprising country at the best of times, and just 14km from Kruševac sits the capital of stone cutting in this part of the world. Bela Voda is famous for a variety of reasons, but carving and sculpture are undoubtedly the main ones. The Museum of Carving and Sculpture is a fascinating look at this historic art, as is the Park of Sculptures. The Great Drinking Fountain is also nearby, offering refreshment to those exhausted by stone and sandstone.
Continuing the theme of romance alluded to back at Ljubostinja, the most romantic village in the Balkans is less than an hour’s drive away from the famous city of Kruševac. We’re talking of course about Vrnjačka Banja. Those two words might not ring any bells, but most readers will be all too familiar with the love lock craze that has swept over the planet. That fad got its start in the town of Vrnjačka Banja over a century ago as World War I ripped the Balkans apart. The famous Bridge of Love still stands today, although the weight of a thousand padlocks may soon become too much.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.