Tverskaya Street, Russia‘s answer to Oxford Street and the Champs-Élysées, is a bustling boulevard, the beating heart of the city. Fascinating back alleys and quaint side streets branch off of it, acting as arteries linking this hive of activity to more tranquil, hidden gems in the surrounding Tverskaya district. Stretching from the Moscow Kremlin northwards, it encompasses all of Moscow – providing a snapshot of all the city’s European history, stunning architecture, and diverse walks of life.
An iconic landmark in the city: a visit to Red Square while in Russia is an opportunity not to be missed. Let yourself be charmed by this picture post-card view of extraordinary rainbow domes of St Basil’s cathedral, the striking crimson of the Kremlin walls, and the glistening lights of the exclusive department store, GUM. Red Square is best appreciated at Christmas time when it is transformed by humongous fir trees, kaleidoscopic lights, artisan markets, dazzling decorations, even an out-door ice rink! The Square is also home to Lenin’s Mausoleum which offers a unique opportunity to see the preserved body of Russia’s first Socialist leader, Vladimir Lenin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Moscow Kremlin is comprises the city’s most fascinating museums, stunning cathedrals, fascinating palaces, and the current seat of government. The complex simply bursts with interest. Sights include the notorious Tsar Bell, the largest bell ever created, the tsarist gem collection in the Diamond Fund, the Imperial family’s treasures in the Armoury, the breathtaking view over the whole city from the top of the Kremlin’s bell tower, and, of course, the home of Mr Putin himself.
The Moscow Kremlin, Moscow, Russia, +7 495 697-03-49
A site of historical interest and a buzzing hive of culture, Pushkinskaya Square lies at the very heart of Moscow. The square is dominated by the colossal statue of Alexander Pushkin, celebrated poet and Russian cultural icon. Literature lovers flock here to admire the monument to this great name. Art galleries, theatres, cinemas, and even the Ministry of Culture: Pushkinskaya Square is simply bursting with creative atmosphere. The Pushkinsky cinema, or Rossiya Theatre, is one of the biggest in Western Europe and most of the nation’s film premiers occur here. Jam-packed with restaurants and cafes, Pushkinskaya Square is one of the city’s most popular meeting places.
The best of Moscow’s dining scene
With a range of restaurants to match any in the world, Tverskaya has become synonymous in Moscow with ‘foodie heaven’. Its incredibly diverse range of options, from budget to haute-cuisine, means that Tverskaya caters to the needs, and stomachs, of all. The district’s most notable restaurants include the iconic Café Pushkin, Moscow’s most famous. Visitors travel miles to make this pilgrimage to the temple of haute-Russian cuisine that is Café Pushkin. Housed in a breathtaking 19th century building and styled like a traditional Russian aristocrat’s home, dining doesn’t get much finer than this. The lavish interiors of Turandot also merit a mention, as do the fantastic vegetarian options at Café Fresh and the authentic flavors at restaurant Scandinavia.
The Moscow metro
For those exploring on a budget, come and admire this incredible feat of human achievement. One of the world’s deepest metro lines: with 196 stations and over 300km of track, exploration of the Moscow metro provides no end of sights. Famous for its lavish magnificence and superb efficiency, the metro is a sight in its own right. Each station boasts of unqiuely ornate decoration, different from every other in Moscow. Glistening chandeliers, masterpiece mosaics, and gleaming marble, accompany commuters on their daily journey. Aside from its beauty, the metro, and the Soviet statues adorning its interiors, offers fascinating insight into Socialist history. Reflecting on the harsh labor under Stalinist rule that, in a mere few years, completed this masterpiece of engineering certainly provides food for thought.
One of Moscow’s most exclusive cocktail bars, a visit to Noor Bar promises elegance, glamour, and mouth-watering flavors aplenty. The tantalizing menu and famous DJ names here attract Moscow’s trendiest residents. Come and rub shoulders with billionaires and celebrities in this chic hang-out. The staggering menu will simply blow your mind, but for those with more specialist tastes, Noor’s expert mixologists can perfectly craft cocktails to suit your every whim. This winning combination has not gone unnoticed: Noor Bar has been awarded prestigious accolades such as TimeOut’s Best Bar of 2010 and Afisha Magazine‘s Best in Moscow.
Noor Bar, Tverskaya Street, 23/12, Moscow, Russia, +7 903 136-76-86
Tchaikovsky Concert Hall
The site of Moscow’s Philharmonia, the historic Tchaikovsky Concert Hall is more than 70 years old and boasts of a prestigious reputation in Russia’s musical history. Come and revel in the idea of the musical geniuses and celebrities that have performed in its hallowed halls. Sweeping white marble staircases and shining floors will dazzle while the delightful sounds of classical music will whisk you away. Enjoy some of the best musical performers of the day in this stunning building.
Tchaikovsky Concert Hall, Tverskaya Street 31/4, Moscow, Russia, +7 495 232-53-53
Rivalling the likes of New York‘s Fifth Avenue and Paris‘s Champs-Élysées, Tverskaya is Moscow’s chicest shopping street and one of the most expensive streets in the world to live on. With everything from high-street favorites to some of the most exclusive jewelry shops in the world, the range on Tverskaya is show-stopping. The street is also home to the infamous Moskva bookshop. The shop’s colossal size, superb range of books, scheduled readings, and other literary events, make it a tourist attraction in its own right. Whether you’re looking to invest in fine quality products, or simply ogle at the designer delights – Tverskaya is the place to go.
By Marianna Hunt
Marianna is a languages student and travel blogger with an eye for the unusual, a heart for exploration, a stomach for food adventures, and a penchant for a pun. Visit her blog, A Hunt Around Russia, to discover more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.