Russians have taken to social media to stoke yet another conspiracy theory that has come from the nation. In an unusual train of collective thought, people have been posting videos online of themselves setting bars of chocolate ablaze as evidence of its poor quality. Here’s the lowdown on this particular hypothesis.
What are these videos all about?
People are setting fire to chocolate all over Russia and posting it on the internet. Apparently, just a single matchstick can spark a chocolaty blaze. Vloggers are reporting that when on fire, these Russian-made chocolate bars give off a plastic-like smell, which they claim supports their theory that the chocolate is rubbish. Some vloggers are also comparing the flammability between European brands of chocolate bars to homemade ones. These videos have sparked a commotion across Russia. So much so, even a government agency has weighed in on the conversation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Should chocolate combust?
Yes, actually. It should. After these videos went viral, the Russian consumer watchdog Rospotrebnadzor decided to investigate the quality of Russian-made chocolate. The Moscow Times reported that the organisation found the flammability of foods is a result of a naturally occurring chemical process, and the intensity of the fire is dependent on the composition of the product. As highlighted by several amateur video sleuths also investigating the mystery of the burning chocolate, the two main ingredients in the sweet snack are flammable. Sugar can explode under the right conditions, and cocoa is also a combustible substance. This would explain why chocolate, all chocolate, can be set on fire, just like pork fat, booze and even bread. So flaming chocolate is not an issue of quality; rather, it’s just a little-known fact that is now making its way around the internet.
Why Russia loves a conspiracy theory
There is something about the Russian psyche that loves a conspiracy theory. Although suspect chocolate quality is a relatively benign accusation, it is born out of a culture that has a practice of devising elaborate theories on just about anything. Perhaps this cultural trait is a result of tumultuous governance over the years and a history of rulers and reformers enforcing change on the Russian masses.
One of the earliest conspiracy theories dates back to the seventeenth century during the Russian Empire. Tsar Peter the Great returned from a European trip and proceeded to Westernise his nation through some fairly polarising initiatives. Upon his return, persistent rumours circulated that the returning Tsar was, in fact, an impostor.
It is also easy to see how conspiracy theories would have been widespread during Soviet times, particularly in the Cold War, Stalin-led era. The Soviet regime controlled the people with an autocratic rule and was enshrouded in secrecy, rife with covert operations and espionage. The Soviet regime members were the perpetrators of many false theories about Western culture, people and ideals, as well as about their own achievements. They fed citizens misinformation to fuel their own ambitions and to assist in cover-ups. The fear of being branded an enemy of the state, as well as the threat of gulag detention, created a culture of paranoia and suspicion, which continues to this day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.