Each of the million odd residents of Kazan, the capital of Tatarstan and one of Russia‘s cultural hubs, has a different perspective of this glorious city, unique to how they move through their little pocket of it. Thanks to Instagram we can now see the small moments and in between spaces that colour this World Cup host city as the townspeople go through their day. View Kazan through the eyes of a local with these Instagram beauties and discover the city from a new point of view.
It may be a grand old building, but the real gem of the state library is the indoor garden, found on the top floor of Ushkova’s House.
National Library of the Republic of Tatarstan, Ulitsa Kremlyovskaya 33, Kazan, Russia +7 843 292-68-26
Bankside, across the Kazanka River from the Kremlin, the Kyrlay Amusement Park offers panoramic views of the city from on top of the ferris wheel. The scenic forty-ish minute stroll from Kazan’s main train station to the park takes you by the Kremlin and along the river.
Kyrlay Park, Ulitsa Odnostoronka Grivki 1а, Kazan, Russia, 420066
The World Heritage listed Kremlin is the only remaining Tatar fortress in the world. Inside the white walls there are beautiful sights at every level, including the majestic Kul Sharif Mosque and the Hermitage.
Kazan’s main artery, Bauman street is lined with cafes, bars, shops and restaurants, making the strip almost impossible to bypass, whether you’re a tourist or local. Even the Mona Lisa can’t help stopping by.
A green city, Kazan has plenty of parks to stroll through or lounge about in, if you want a bit of peace and quiet. One of Kazan’s oldest parks, Park Uritsky is across the river from the Kremlin, not too far from fanzone, Kazan Family Centre. There is also Victory Park (Park Pobedy) that pays homages to the soldiers and military equipment used in the great patriotic war.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the Novo-Savinovsk neighbourhood, this epic building was constructed to commemorate 1100 years of a strong Islamic presence in the region.
Bulgar Mosque, Ulitsa Musina 10, Kazan, Russia +7 843 522-33-14
Fan-Fest zone for 2018 World Cup, the Kazan Family Centre has a spectacular view of the city, the Volga and is an enjoyable spot to while away an afternoon in the sun.
Kazan Family Centre, Ulista Sibgata Khakima 4, Kazan, Russia +7 843 590-11-53
Definitely a contender for the most beautiful public service building, the feature piece to this immense building is the enormous bronze tree on the building’s facade.
Built in 2013 the Kazan Arena is a host stadium of the 2018 World Cup competition. It was created by the same architects that designed the Sochi Olympic Stadium.
Kazan Arena, Prospekt Khusaina Yamasheva 115 А, Russia +7 843 245-34-34
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.