For most of us, the USSR is one place we will never experience. Barbie, however, gets to travel back in time to see what it was like living in it. Yekaterinburg-based visual artist Lara Vychuzhanina has recreated a true-to-life miniature diorama of a Soviet flat and snapped photos of Barbie while she was staying there. Vychuzhanina also took a few photos of Ken, whom Barbie brought along for the trip.
Through the painstaking efforts of Vychuzhanina, Barbie and Ken have found themselves hanging out in an old Soviet communal apartment that appears to be set sometime circa the 1980s. Despite being young enough to not have any proper memory of the USSR, Vychuzhanina manages to capture a mood and atmosphere that is delightfully kitsch and nostalgic.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The love is in the details. Concerning herself more with the feel and tone of the setting rather than historical accuracy, Vychuzhanina put a lot of effort into transforming a 60 x 40 x 50cm (23.6 x 15.7 x 19.6 inch) box into a mini-Soviet world. To recreate the Soviet feel, Vychuzhanina worked off of old photographs and images she found online.
Ken’s shirt (made out of an old sock) is torn and the miniature plastic pots, pans and furniture that were bought online are scuffed up to look appropriately weathered. Ken is even reading a Pravda newspaper and the branding on the cereal boxes, vodka bottle and cigarettes are exact. Props that were painted and treated were then sealed with a coat of clear nail polish. For a final cultural touch, it appears Barbie’s mother returned to the USSR as well to live with the young couple, which reflects the communal living aspect that was prevalent.
The diorama and photoshoot were made specifically for a competition, which was themed ‘communal apartment’, and were completed in a two-week time frame. Recognized for her efforts, Vychuzhanina’s project won a Doll Photography Award in 2017.
Barbie’s Soviet flat isn’t Vychuzhanina’s only doll-based project. Her love of dolls goes back to childhood, and she has been taking photos of them since she was young. A commercial photographer by trade, the artist’s hobby of staging photo shoots with dolls turned into a professional activity in 2013. ‘My hobby is a symbiosis of [my] love for dolls and love for photos’, she says. ‘Dolls are the best models. They are the heroines of my photos. I’m not shooting fashion, I’m shooting stories. [Dolls] are not capricious; they are silent; they always look good; they do not freeze in the winter in a dress. In general, it is pleasant to work with them’.
It is clear a lot of work goes into creating the worlds the dolls inhabit, a task Vychuzhanina finds as equally as enjoyable as the actual photoshoot. Photographing dolls presents unique challenges for photographers, who must rely on their technical skill to make an inanimate still-life object pop. Vychuzhanina told RBTN, ‘A doll is not a person, and its face cannot change, so it is totally up to the photographer to transmit a particular emotion to the viewer with his or her professional skills. That’s why so much focus is put on lighting, colour, angle and perspective. Using all these tools in the right way can make a doll look alive’.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.