St Petersburg may not have a well-defined, long Jewish history, but the Jewish community of St Petersburg is a large one, and every member takes pride in his and her culture and background. With a little knowledge about the Jewish history of St Petersburg, your trip will be all the more enlightening and enjoyable. Here are a few things to look out for.
Grand Choral Synagogue
The Grand Choral Synagogue is the second largest synagogue in Eastern Europe and the only synagogue in St Petersburg. It was commissioned in the late nineteenth century with the permission of the tsar Alexander II. The synagogue remains an active place of worship today, but also welcomes visitors on guided tours that can be organised upon request. Information about upcoming services is available on its website.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Grand Choral Synagogue, 2 Lermontovsky Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 812 713 81 86
Le’chaim Kosher Restaurant
Le’chaim restaurant is located on the ground floor of the Grand Choral Synagogue. It is the only restaurant in the city that produces kosher food, adhering to all Jewish religious laws. The establishment is popularly used for celebrations, such as bar mitzvah ceremonies and Sabbath meals. Interestingly, the restaurant does not make a profit – all earnings are donated to support the synagogue, Hebrew schools and to help those in need.
Lehaim, 2 Lermontsoky Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 812 572 56 16
During the Second World War, St Petersburg, or the then-called Leningrad, was under Siege. The Nazis got very close to the city. When they entered Tsarskoye Selo, 20 km (12.4 miles) outside the city, in 1941, all Jews were forced to register. Then all men, women and children were executed. They were buried in a mass-grave, some still alive and only wounded from the shots. Witnesses of the event said that the ground was still moving for a day after that.
To commemorate the suffering of these people, a monument was built in 1972 solely from donations from the city’s Jewish community. The name of the monument is “The Formula of Grief”. It resembles the shape of the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, aleph, symbolising a new beginning. An annual remembrance gathering is held on the first Sunday of October.
The Formula of Grief, 5 Moskovskaya Street, Pushking, St Petersburg, Russia
The Preobrazhenskoe Jewish Cemetery was founded in 1875 after a request from the local Jewish community. They were first granted a section of the larger cemetery for members of other faiths, but over time the Jewish cemetery gained its independence. By the end of the nineteenth century, a prayer house was built, and just before the revolution, a stone building was erected for ablution and funerary services. In the second half of the twentieth century, under the Soviet Union, the cemetery was shut down and became a target for vandals. It has now been reopened, but burial is allowed only for the relatives of cemetery members as the restoration works continue.
Jewish Cemetery, 66A Aleksandrovskoy Fermy Prospekt, St Peterburg, Russia
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.