Russia’s photogenic beauty and unique character combined make it a star of Instagram. To discover Russia’s grand cities and otherworldly wilderness, not to mention a sense of the country’s robust nationalism, follow these accounts now. And yes, they will trigger a serious case of wanderlust.
Moscow-based photographer @ted.ns captures the magnificence of his epic home city, as well as taking a pretty good holiday snap when travelling around Russia too. Expect to find shots that capture the aesthetically pleasing geometry of Moscow’s buildings as well as the city’s scale. Also on Bevan’s account are photos of Russia’s wilderness that showcase its glory across the seasons.
A post shared by Andrey Belavin?Moscow (@ted.ns) on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:59am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A collective of travel and landscape photographers,@russianexplorers cover the nation’s natural appeal, including snow-capped mountains, sweeping vistas, epic lakes, and magical melancholy magical landscapes – they’re all here, and they’re all amazing.
A post shared by Russian Explorers (@russianexplorers) on Oct 26, 2017 at 9:15am PDT
Russian Federation Space Agency
The Soviet Union was the first state to send a person, Yuri Gagarin, into space and has erected several monuments in recognition of the achievement. Keeping in line with modern times and maintaining the legacy of space pioneering, @roscosmosofficial, the official account for the national space agency, documents current cosmonauts’ efforts and outer-space life as well as posting a stack of breathtaking images of earth that are literally out of this world.
A post shared by Роскосмос // Roscosmos (@roscosmosofficial) on Nov 13, 2017 at 10:37am PST
It is really hard not to get a sense of Russian nationalism and patriotic pride when scrolling through @damedvedev, the Prime Minister’s account, regardless of personal politics. Sprinkled through lit-up cityscapes, sweeping country vistas and snaps of iconic architecture are moments of patriotic acts and Medvedev on official business, just so we know he actually does work, and doesn’t spend all his time basking in Russia’s glory.
A post shared by Дмитрий Медведев (@damedvedev) on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:09am PDT
Prize-winning creative Krizhevskaya documents the ethereal, magical side of Moscow, through its architecture and grandiose buildings, as well as its parks and green spaces on @elenakrizhevskaya. Playing with light and colours she captures the enchantment and wonder of the nation’s capital. She even makes the capital’s drizzly weather charming.
A post shared by Moscow Москва Крижевская Фото (@elenakrizhevskaya) on Nov 15, 2017 at 6:47am PST
Near the UNESCO-protected Ugra National Park, about 200 kilometres (124 miles) away from Moscow is the @nikolalenivets art village. Working with the wondrous landscape, architects and artists from across the globe come here to create public sculptures and art, which elevate the already delightful countryside into something fairly ethereal. The village’s official Instagram account captures woodland splendour and delightful, whimsical art in fairy tale surrounds.
Nikola Lenivets, Russia
A post shared by Никола-Ленивец (арт-парк) (@nikolalenivets) on Nov 7, 2017 at 9:46pm PST
Of course, the national tourism board is going to have an Instagram account that inspires wanderlust, no matter if you’re a city slicker or a nature lover. @russia.travel.official is full of glamourous shots of all the cities and all the lakes and all the mountains, as well as satiating foodies with mouthwatering images of Russian favourites, and offering the animal lovers out there some ridiculously cute photos of the most photogenic animals found in Russia.
A post shared by @russia.travel.official on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:49am PDT
A local to the southern republic of Ossetia, near the north of the Caucasus Mountains, Butaev opens up a rarely travelled region due its history of political unrest and conflict. Through @itsbaaat, he shares some of the dreamy countryside, filled with charming plains and dramatic waterfalls and mountains found in Ossetia.
A post shared by Bat (@itsbaaat) on Jun 17, 2017 at 10:26am PDT
Lake Baikal, in the heart of the Siberian wilderness, doesn’t need to work hard to look good – one of Russia’s vast inland seas, it is spectacular. Still, Alexey Matveev works a bit of magic to bring out the dreaminess and otherworldliness of this ridiculously beautiful lake and its surrounds through his feed, @lake.baikal.
A post shared by Alexey Matveev (@lake.baikal) on Jul 5, 2015 at 2:50am PDT
Want to see more of Russia’s rugged beauty? Have a look at Siberia‘s wild appeal with these Instagrams.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.