One of Russia’s most beloved directors, Leonid Gaidai wrote and directed 18 box-office smashing comedy films. The distinctive visual style, dazzling physical humor and signature discursive structure of his movies makes them relevant even today. We take a look at 7 of his best.
A short comedy film that brought Leonid Gaidai his Cannes nomination and introduced the trio of The Coward, The Fool and The Experienced who will subsequently appear in several of Gaidai’s other movies. Bootleggers generally made the 37 year old director an overnight success. The story follows three petty criminals as they try to make money by moonshining, but eventually are brought to justice by their own very responsible dog, Barbos. This comedy is Charlie Chaplin level of fun and still watchable today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Operation Y and Shurik’s Other Adventures
The highest grossing Soviet movie of 1965, Operation Y, as the title suggests, tells the story of the adventures of Shurik, an adorable Soviet student, who from time to time finds himself in ridiculous and bizarre situations (but always finds his way out). Whether he has a face-off with his nemesis in an enclosed space, explores his newly discovered prophetic gift, or stands up against a gang of burglars, Shurik always does so with charm, dignity and humor.
Kidnapping, Caucasian Style
The box office hit of 1967, this story is another adventure of the popular, Shurik. This is a case of a sequel outshining the original. A hilarious take on the Caucasian tradition of bride kidnapping, this movie has everything: a nice and somewhat naïve protagonist, his beautiful no-nonsense love interest, crime, revenge, an epic car chase, a trio of likeable criminals from the previous movie and a donkey.
The Diamond Arm
The Citizen Kane of Soviet comedy and the third highest grossing film in the Soviet history, the Diamond Arm is based on a news piece about Swiss criminals transporting jewelry in a plaster cast. The story follows Semyon Gorbunkov, a quiet family man, as he visits Italy, gets mistaken for a jewelry smuggler, and has his broken arm encased in a jewelry-filled plaster cast. Unaware of what’s inside the cast, Gorbunkov returns home, but his life will never be the same, since the smugglers are serious about getting their jewelry back!
Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future
The best time travel movie in Russian history, Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future is loosely based on a play by Mikhail Bulgakov. Shurik is back, and now he is an engineer working on a time travel machine. He accidentally sends his building super Ivan Vasilevich Bunsha and charismatic burglar George Miloslavsky back to the time of Ivan the Terrible and Ivan himself ends up in Shurik’s 1973 Moscow apartment. So while the other two are trying to survive in the medieval Russia, Shurik has to fix the time machine, keep the Tsar from exposing himself and deal with drama in his love life. Yuri Yakovlev, one of Russia’s most prominent actors, shines as both the notorious Ivan the Terrible and his lisping hen-pecked look-alike, Ivan Vasilevich Bunsha.
It Can’t Be!
Based on the works of Mikhail Zoshchenko, this second highest grossing movie of 1976 tells three different stories, each of them tackles human weaknesses in a witty and fun manner.Crime and Punishment tells a story of dishonesty and the true nature of family relationships, Fun Adventure explores the subject of extramarital relations and Wedding event mocks hasty marriages.
A 1982 comedy movie, that became one of the all-time Soviet box office leaders and caused a tidal wave of lottery tickets to be purchased. The story follows four travellers, as they try to track down a winning lottery ticket (which one of them purchased in the beginning of the movie and hid inside a book). Since all of them were coincidentally reading the same book, the search for the ticket gets complicated.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.