Modern Moscow is undoubtedly one of the most attractive and exciting destinations to visit. A lot of museums, art galleries, theatres, churches, restaurants and more are explored each day by visitors. But sometimes it may be unclear to tourists how to behave correctly or do the right thing in public places. Here’s a list of the most common mistakes tourists make and some tips on how to avoid them.
Visiting Arbat Street
Seriously, skip it! Of course we all know that souvenir shopping is a ‘must do’ in Moscow, and it’s very important to bring beautiful presents back home to your loved ones. It can be hard to pass up the trinkets glimmering in the shops, but waiting in a 5 km (3 mile) queue outside on a cold winter day is not worth it. We highly recommend you go to Partizanskaya Metro Station and the Izmailovsky Market for souvenir goodies. No queues, no tourists, basically nobody milling around a vast choice of local souvenirs, as well as antique goodies like old samovars and jewelry.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Assuming Russia is always cold
No, it’s not. Don’t bring too many sweaters with you; check the weather before you leave home. Yes, it sounds strange, but all Russians are used to this crazy weather. One day you may be wearing a fur coat against a blizzard. The next day, you may wake up to warm sunshine and melting snow. It’s not very cold all the time, in fact there are four seasons in Russia, all of which are quite different. Summers can be extremely hot, so plan in advance about what to put in your luggage.
Expecting to see a musical bear in Red Square
Avoid stupid stereotypes and keep an open mind about everything. We absolutely can’t deny the fact that modern Moscow is totally different from what we’ve imagined. Many things have changed here during recent years and Russia’s capital has become even more contemporary than many other big European cities. Unfortunately, some cliches still exist and we highly recommend you to forget about them. One thing is for sure, you won’t see a bear playing a balalaika in Red Square.
Following the maps and brochures from the hotel
Moscow’s city centre is huge and compact. It is easy to get turned around and confused if you are not from the area. However, the maps in the hotel brochures won’t help you find your way. Google Maps is more than sufficient, and if you don’t have access to Google Maps, tourism centres have printed maps that are also helpful.
Avoiding common rules
When in Moscow, do as locals do. Unfortunately, sometimes tourists forget that local rules apply to them too. Visitors should know how to say ‘no’ to the taxi drivers, who are increasing their fee, or how to avoid small talk with police officers, especially if they seem suspicious of others. Tourists should be able to recognize negative situations and know when to walk away at the right moment. A good rule to follow is to never put your iPhone or wallet in a back pocket when riding the subway or shopping in a supermarket. You’ll return home without it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.