Making sarmale is the test of every Romanian chef. The ultimate Romanian comfort food, the pickled cabbage rolls must be stuffed with meat and rice and cooked slowly until the rice is creamy, the meat is juicy, and the cabbage stays tender. Overboil them, underseason them, or mess with their regular shape and you can ruin a day’s work and disappoint everyone. To save you a letdown, we’ve scouted the best places in Bucharest that serve the perfect sarmale.
For a restaurant, Casa Doina has a long and illustrious history. Built in Neo-Romanian style to serve as the pavilion of the 1890 Paris Expo, it quick became the favourite spot of the aristocracy of the time. Served on a creamy bed of polenta, their version of sarmale is served with a slice of smoked streaky bacon, the mandatory crème fraîche and a chili, for a touch of spice.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lacrimi și Sfinți
Run by one of Romania’s most beloved poets, Lacrimi și Sfinți, literally meaning “Tears and Saints,” positions itself as an “atypical” Romanian cuisine restaurant. Its chef’s repertoire combines 100-year-old recipes with modern inventions with ease and grace and, when it comes to sarmale, there’s no room for experiments. Their version of sarmale, famous in the city, is made from a mix of goose, veal, and pork meat and it boiled in Sauvignon Blanc.
Hanu lui Manuc
Step inside the courtyard of Hanul lui Manuc, a historic inn dating back to 1808 hosting a restaurant, and you’ll literally walk in the steps of many of Bucharest‘s historical figures, such as dignitaries, merchants, adventurers, and even some outlaws. After becoming the city’s most important trading ground in the 19th century, today, after massive restoration Hanul lui Manuc still remains one of the most famous buildings in Bucharest. Their kitchen is famous for not one but two versions of sarmale. Pick from goose meat sarmale wrapped in pickled vine leaves and baked in the oven with tomatoes and wine or the classic, winter version, served with chilli and crispy bacon.
Zexe Zahanaua Gastronomică
At Zexe, the chefs serve dishes of Romanian traditional cuisine with a modern twist and a contemporary presentation. But when it comes to their sarmale recipes, the restaurant welcomes you with the tastes of bygone times. You will have a hard time choosing between the two equally illustrious versions of the dish, each using totally different ingredients. Made using the original recipe from an 18th-century inn in Neamț County, their sarmale in cabbage leaves combines wild boar meat with secret spices and is baked over a slow fire in the oven. The lighter version will see you sample a dish famous in Bucharest during the interwar period: goose breast sarmale wrapped in pickled vine leaves.
Caru’ cu Bere
Caru’ cu Bere is an institution of Bucharest‘s social life. With a history spanning 13 years, it is housed in a spectacular Gothic Revival building with a richly adorned interior in Art Nouveau style. Located in the Old Center, it serves a myriad of Romanian traditional dishes, with sarmale among the most popular. Cooked and served in the traditional way, they are a classic rendition of the dish, as made by grandmothers around the country. If you’re in the mood for something original, wash them down with the house beer, made according to an original recipe from 1879.
La Mama, literally meaning “At your mom’s place,” is a restaurant chain serving traditional food that strives to lend their dishes that unmissable homemade feel that characterizes all Romanian dishes. Their sarmale, made with a combination of beef and pork meat, and served with smoked salo, raw onion, and chili, capture that beautifully.
Tîrgul Țărănesc din Agronomie
The peasants’ fair, held near the Faculty of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, which gathers farmers from all over the country who display their best products, might be the best place in Bucharest to sample the variety and richness of Romanian cuisine. Here you can find sarmale made on the spot, in big tin kettles hanging over the fire using different recipes from the country’s many regions.
Hanu’ Berarilor Casa Soare
Under the name Hanu’ Berarilor you will find two restaurants, located in two historic villas in Bucharest. What do they have in common? Beautiful architecture, a vibe that alludes to the interwar period, one of great expansion for the city, and respect for the culinary heritage of the city. They make sarmale using the classic combination of pork and beef and serve them alongside polenta.
City Grill, a network of restaurants with locations spread throughout the city center, is the place to go for those dishes tried and tested by the locals. If you think classic is fantastic, try their sarmale, served alongside their faithful companions, chili and crème fraîche, and you will not need to go somewhere else.
Serving traditional Romanian food in a decor that preserves the authentic feel of Romanian interiors, Vatra is located right in the city centre, near the charming Cișmigiu Park. They serve two types of sarmale, the traditional one involving beef and pork meat wrapped in pickled cabbage leaves, and a lighter version, made with chicken, rolled into pickled vine leaves, served with crème fraîche.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.