Romania is a wonderful mixture of lively cities, bucolic countryside, awe-inspiring landscapes, welcoming people and mouthwatering dishes. Eating is far from being just a need, it is a patriarchal ritual with local products and centuries-old recipes transmitted from mother to daughter.
The different communities that live in the country or have passed by, enriched the traditional cuisine with an array of flavours. Trying the local food should be part of any travel experience in Romania. And as locals like to make a complete gastronomy experience of their meals, we’ve selected the tastiest Romanian food festivals in the country for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eating great food, travelling to quaint villages, getting in touch with the locals: what else can you ask for?
An event organized by My Transylvania Association, Transylvania Brunch is a meeting of food lovers. The event started as a reunion of those who wanted to develop cultural, agricultural, touristic and ecologic projects in the Hartibaciu Area, in southern Transylvania. It is also an opportunity to promote the regional products. Brunches are held on the last Saturday of each month, from April to September and each has a specific theme and location and is popularizing a local project set up in the area. The location changes as well as the activities, that vary between a walk in the village, a hike on a cultural road or a local concert.
Local and seasonal products are used by the women in the village, who cook using old recipes, adding love and dedication to each meal prepared. Some of the villages where the events are held are Apos, Cobor, Ruja, Valchid, Alma Vii, Cisnadioara, Saxon villages located in the areas of Sibiu and Brasov.
Picnic in Cindrel
Picnic in Cindrel is about eating local products from the peasants of Marginimea Sibiului region, a pastoral land of villages scattered at the footsteps of Cindrel Mountains. Best known for their dairy products and cheese, the locals will take you on a hike around the Cheese Route, in Cindrel Mountains. But let’s not forget the food: you will receive a filled-up picnic basket with regional products to delight your tastebuds. The event includes the visit of an artisan’s atelier and an introduction to the local crafts.
Organized from April to October, the picnic is another event organised by My Transylvania Association. Find the dates and places on their calendar.
Flavours and Sounds of Transylvania
Taste the local flavours in the villages of Transylvania and amazing plates prepared carefully by the locals with ingredients from their own gardens. Be aware, as the food is so tempting, that you might not be able to stop before tasting every dish on the table. And the ‘worst’ part is that there are one or two such events every month from May to October, each serving different meals, depending on the event’s theme. From vegetarian plates made with medicinal herbs to sweet cakes and lemonades cooked with strawberries and rhubarb, you will feel in a gastronomical heaven.
Add to that mesmerizing organ concerts held in monumental fortified churches and lovely locals ready to tell you everything about their villages. Flavours and Sounds is also organised by My Transilvania Association.
Dinner in Nature
Do you imagine yourself taking dinner in a remote village, outside, surrounded by mesmerizing scenery, eating fabulous food cooked by the locals? Travel to Transylvania and take part in a feast in nature, meet the locals and let them tell you how they used fresh, seasonal products to cook your dinner. Take a tour through the village and discover the hidden gems of the Saxon villages of Transylvania. Rod, Malancrav, Biertan, Richis, Mosna are some of the locations where the event is taking place. Each summer, the location changes, so you’d better check it on My Transilvania’s website or Facebook page.
Full Moon Picnic
Who said that electronic music can’t match with traditional food? At Full Moon Picnic, you start the day with a hike around the picturesque villages of the Hartibaciu Valley and end it with an all-night-long party in the Electric Camping. An authentic alternative to the classic dance clubs, featuring a fire camp, fantastic food prepared in a magic cauldron and a bar with local drinks, including the local plum brandy. After taking a sleep in your tent, a hearty breakfast is waiting for you: homemade bread and jams, zacusca – a vegetable stew, local cheese and fresh vegetables. Don’t miss this culinary experience.
Street Food Festival
Eating in the street might be considered rude in some cultures but at Street Food Festival, there is a whole celebration around it. Held in several cities of Romania, like Cluj, Bucharest and Iasi, this is the first festival dedicated to street culinary experiences. From May to October, the festival travels from one city to another and the best restaurants and bars are getting on the street to serve you with their best plates. Take a tour of the restaurant’s food trucks and travel around the world, tasting various cuisines, from Romanian to Indian to Mexican.
Bucharest Food Festival – Gourmet Edition
This gastronomic and cultural event is held on the last weekend of June in the Herastrau Park of Bucharest and is the first gourmet festival in Romania. The very best restaurants and bistros in the capital come to Bucharest Food Festival to showcase their luscious dishes, prepared by the most popular chefs of the moment in the country: oysters, barbecue meat, seafood, burgers, sushi, you got them all. Good wines are not missing and neither is good music. Enjoy your meal with jazz, electro swing or blues rhythms while tasting an excellent cup of wine or sit in one of the cosy corners and relax.
Gastronomic Transylvania – Food Culture Festival
For 10 autumn days, the Sibiu area is converted into a gastronomical scene for all those who love or want to discover Transylvanian cuisine and heritage. The event aims to contribute to the preservation of local cultural landscapes and their motto is ‘Eat Local’. All the meals are prepared with fresh products from local producers. Each day brings another event, like ‘Taste of Transylvania’, ‘Dinner in the citadel’, ‘Saxon desserts’. The festival features live cooking sessions using centuries-old recipes, cooking competitions and wine tasting. During the event, you can taste homemade jams, local cheese, the amazing zacusca and savoury desserts.
Toamna la Ceaun
Toamna la Ceaun is an event held in Bucharest’s National Park over the last weekend of September and is a festive board of fully-flavoured traditional meals, mostly cooked in a cauldron. Cabbage à la Cluj, goulash, sarmale – stuffed cabbage rolls, mici – Romanian sausages are just some of the traditional dishes that you can taste. All the wonderful food is cooked under visitors’ eyes in large cauldrons and barbecues and comes with Romanian wines, traditional music and handmade objects.
International Wine Festival of Romania
A great opportunity to taste the wonderful Romanian wines, the International Wine Festival is held at the end of May in Mamaia, one of the top resorts at the Black Sea. 300 carefully selected wines from domestic and international wine producers await to be discovered. Wineries like Lacerta Winery, Cotnari House, Tohani Romania, Cramele Recas or Crama Basilescu are ready to amaze you with a wide range of tastes and flavours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.