Stretching over 245 kilometres (152 miles) between the Danube Delta and the Bulgarian border, Romania’s Black Sea coastline offers a great mix of party destinations, bohemian getaways and family-friendly resorts. With summer temperatures between 25-35°C (77-95°F) and wide sandy beaches, seaside resorts here make for perfect holiday getaways. Here’s our pick of the best.
Founded around 600 BC, Constanța is the gateway city to the Black Sea coast. With a rich history and established economic status, it’s a vibrant multicultural centre with amazing architecture and a lively old centre dotted with bars and terraces. Its party scene is promising as well, and recently received a boost with the arrival of musical festival Neversea, one of the country’s best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The party capital of the Romanian Black Sea coast, Mamaia’s nightlife is likened to that of Ibiza and Miami. Here things really get going at sunset, when the crowds start flocking to the stylish clubs lined along the beach, such as Loft, Café del Mar Mamaia, Puro Beach Black Sea and more to dance till sunrise to the tunes of the biggest names on the DJ scene. This is where several of Bucharest’s famed nightclubs, such as Fratelli and Bamboo move their residency for the summer, adding to the winning mix of good music and party vibes amid the beach, sea and sun.
Dare to wear a night dress and sky-high heels in Vama Veche, and you’ll be pointed at and promptly reprimanded with the warning that “This is not Mamaia!”. The traditional getaway of Bucharest’s bohemian intellectuals, who simply call it Vama, it is the antithesis of branded, commercial tourism and strives to keep capitalism at bay by keeping it all simple. A typical day in Vama features partying till sunrise, then going to your tent for a quick nap and later returning to the beach for the morning session, eating a fresh fish dish at one of the many terraces for lunch and then returning to the beach to doze off under an umbrella until late afternoon.
Eforie Nord is perfect for those who want to escape city life for long, quiet days at the beach. Although not completely lacking in party options, this is a family destination par excellence. What’s more, thanks to its vicinity to the spa resort of Techirghiol, it offers various treatments and therapies using the sapropelic mud from the Techirghiol salt lake.
Boasting one of the finest beaches on the Romanian Black Sea coast, La Steaguri beach, Neptun is a great option for those who want to have it all: great beaches and nature, great food and spa treatment options. The sea water here has a high degree of mineralization (up to 15.5 grams), that together with the sulphur-rich hot springs reaching 27°C (81°F) and the therapeutic mud from the nearby lake are a powerful mix with proven health benefits. Neptun is also the place where former communist country leader Nicolae Ceaușescu built his summer residence, which – should you wish – you can now rent for a hefty sum.
The seaside resort for young people par excellence, Costinești started as a small fishing village. During communism, it became the place where every Romanian pupil and student would go at least once on school trips during the summer months. Today, it is a low budget seaside destination where you will rub shoulders with people of all ages from all over the country, many loyal to the resort’s enduring appeal.
Another family friendly destination, 2 Mai is just 3 kilometres (1.9 miles) away from Vama Veche and serves as a stand-in for when accommodation in the small fishing village is sold out. Famous for serving better food at its many terraces than its more famous neighbour, the appeal of 2 Mai lies in that it offers the same small village vibe as Vama Veche, just without the loud beats and the hangover.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.