Exciting and surprising, Romania’s capital is rapidly becoming a major hub for contemporary art in central and eastern Europe, with dozens of dynamic art galleries creating a diverse space for art enthusiasts to explore and enjoy. Discover established and emerging contemporary Romanian artists with our guide to Bucharest’s best contemporary art galleries and take a glimpse into the new wave of Romanian art.
Art Yourself Gallery
Launched in 2011 and located close to the green Kiseleff Boulevard, Art Yourself aspires to become a strong connection point between contemporary artists and the public. The gallery focuses on presenting creations of established artists and on promoting and encouraging young contemporary artists such as painter Radu Rodideal or photographer Cosmin Bumbut. Moreover, Art Yourself hosts a permanent exhibition of Affordable Art that displays hundreds of creations from dozens of contemporary artists available for sale at low and mid-range prices.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Zorzini is one of the youngest contemporary art galleries in Bucharest. The gallery promotes Romanian artists both in Bucharest and abroad at major art events such as Contemporary Istanbul and Art Monaco. Founded in 2012, the gallery exhibits Romania’s younger generations of artists, such as Andrei Gamart, Teodora Axente, Dan Beudean and Vlad Berte, but also the wonderful creations of Nicolae Comanescu, a mixed media artist who uses unconventional painting materials obtained from cigarette and wood ashes, and mud or vegetable powders.
Anca Poterasu Gallery
Launched in 2009 as an alternative project known as the Little Yellow Studio ‘designed to give a personal touch to thematic and group exhibitions, performances and interactive dialogues’, Anca Poterasu Gallery gained its present identity in 2011. Since then, the gallery has become an active and established name on Bucharest’s art scene. Aiming to enhance the presence of Romania’s contemporary artists on the international stage, the gallery is a regular guest at international events such as Contemporary Istanbul, Vienna Fair and Art Moscow. Its portfolio of artists includes the daring creations of Donald Simionoiu, Irina Botea, Nicu Ilfoveanu and Teodor Graur.
Atelier 030202 is perhaps one the most unconventional contemporary art galleries in Bucharest, dedicated to a public interested in visual arts and artistic experiments. Located on the same premises as the Comedy Theatre, Atelier 030202 brings a strong and distinct emotion through its authentic art performances and exhibitions. Conceived as an artist-run space where diverse forms of contemporary art could flourish, the gallery hosts various events: music performances, contemporary dance, video installations and film screenings. Furthermore, Atelier 030202 promotes young artists and curators from Romania and beyond. With its less formal approach to presenting and representing contemporary art, Atelier 030202 is unequivocally one of the top venues in Bucharest to see what’s new on Romania’s art scene.
Galateca Gallery sets out to showcase national and international design projects and original contemporary art, aiming to create valuable exhibitions of applied and multimedia art. Located in one of Bucharest’s finest historical buildings – the Central University Library – the gallery is situated just across the street from the National Museum of Arts. Today, Galateca is one of the must-see cultural spaces of Bucharest for both locals and tourists interested in contemporary art.
H’Art Gallery is one of the oldest contemporary art galleries in Bucharest. Since 2002 the gallery has hosted over 150 exhibitions of the most important Romanian artists and established itself as a leading voice on Bucharest’s art scene. H’Art Gallery has one of the largest private portfolios in the country, focusing predominantly on promoting artists educated after the end of the communist period, such as Dumitru Gorzo, Ovidiu Fenes, Anca Muresan, Gili Mocanu, Alexandru Paul, Floriama Candea and Ana Banica, among many others. H’Art is unquestionably one of the best contemporary art galleries in Romania and is not to be missed while visiting Bucharest.
Aiurart is one of the most active art spaces in Bucharest, successfully combining its multiple identities as a contemporary art gallery, small museum and cultural centre. To date, Aiurart has hosted over 30 exhibitions of both Romanian and international artists, displaying a complex range of artistic creations from paintings to sculpture, video art, installations and various experimental projects. Aiurart is also involved in educational programmes such as Museums in High Schools and High Schools in Museums. Furthermore, the gallery’s location in a renovated pre-war mansion is an outstanding work of art, nominated for the main prize at the 2013 Bucharest Architecture Awards.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.