With a fascinating history filled with tales, myths, great personalities and intriguing controversies, Romania lures the curious to discover its past and present. Take a look at these compelling books, and you will surely be captivated by this beautiful Eastern European country.
From Vlad the Impaler to Dracula the Vampire
Written by Neagu Djuvara and Radu Oltean, From Vlad the Impaler to Dracula the Vampire reveals the difference between the historic personality of Vlad the Impaler and the fictitious character of Dracula. Filled with old, interesting, and sometimes strange and violent tales that present the story of the Romanian ruler, this narrative will surely captivate while uncovering the truth behind the Dracula myth.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Last Romantic
One of the most illustrious personalities of Romania, Queen Marie was born in England as Princess Marie of Edinburgh. She became Queen of Romania after marrying King Ferdinand I. Queen Marie dedicated her life to supporting and defending the interest of Romania and the recognition of the Romanian state formed in 1918 by the Union of Transylvania with Romania. The Last Romantic, by Hannah Pakula, tells the queen’s story, from her birth to her life as a queen and heroine.
Red Horizons: The True Story of Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu’s Crimes, Lifestyle, and Corruption
Written by former Intelligence Service chief Ion Mihai Pacepa, Red Horizons reveals insights into the Communist party, its control and persecution system. Pacepa discusses how the Communist government controlled and supervised the population, the life of the Ceausescus and the lives of the general public at the time.
Romania since the Second World War: A Political, Social and Economic History
This book by Florin Abraham captures the evolution of the country from the Second World War through the Communist period and into modern Romania. Discussing the social, political and economic changes that each period brought about, Romania since the Second World War examines the transition period that followed the fall of Communism, and analyzes international relations with NATO and the European Union.
The Holocaust in Romania: The Destruction of Jews and Gypsies Under the Antonescu Regime, 1940-1944
A shattering story of the Jewish extermination in Romania during Ion Antonescu’s regime, Radu Ioanid’s The Holocaust in Romania exposes the country’s anti-Semitic policies and shares touching testimonials from survivors. A study very well documented presenting a dark chapter of Romanian history, this book is hard, but important, to read.
History and Myth in Romanian Consciousness
Offering great perspective on Romania’s past, History and Myth in Romanian Consciousness makes the point that history is subjective and is consistently redefined by present ideologies. This fascinating book by Lucian Boia examines the development of the historical conscience of the Romanian people in the 19th and 20th centuries under the influence of national ideologies. The book covers the most important moments in Romania’s history and the myths created around them.
The Lost Romans
The Lost Romans is a marvellous book written by Mircea Davidescu that discusses the early Romanian people. Starting with the first century and the Roman-Dacian wars, the narrative covers the beginnings of Romanian history and how Romanians became a Latin people in a sea of Slavic populations. The book is sprinkled with humour and takes the reader through many of the historical controversies.
The Little Book of Romanian Wisdom
The Little Book of Romanian Wisdom is about the personalities that have marked the past and present of Romania and uncovers the brilliant and talented people who had a significant impact on the world. Readers will stumble upon names they’ve heard but didn’t realise were Romanian and will learn of their values and talents.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.