From the man who is considered the world’s first photographer to the woman who wants to capture the beauty of women, regardless of race, colour or age, here are 12 Romanian photographers who have explored their surroundings and have travelled the world to capture life through their lens.
Carol Popp de Szathmári
Born in Cluj-Napoca, a part of the Austrian Empire at the time, Carol Popp de Szathmári is one of the first professional photographers in Europe. For his pictures taken on the frontline during the Crimean War in the 1850’s, he is considered the world’s first war photographer. He traveled to China and Siberia to capture local customs and kept a studio near Bucharest’s Calea Victoriei.
A post shared by Iași (fotografii vechi) (@iasifotografiivechi) on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:46am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Passionate about photography from a young age, Iosif Berman would hang out with the itinerant photographers of Suceava, his birthplace, and Cernăuți. Before turning 18, he moved to Bucharest, and, as soon as he earned enough money, he bought a camera. As a professional photographer, he worked as a correspondent from Istanbul and later, in the mid-1920s collaborated with Dimitrie Gusti, founder of the Bucharest National Village Museum, on a highly original project documenting village life and customs.
A post shared by Anghel Constantin Tailoring (@anghelconstantintailoring) on Feb 10, 2017 at 5:41am PST
Aurel Mihailopol is considered the most talented photographer working during the Communist period. Nicknamed ‘the barefoot photographer’, due to his nonconformist ways of chasing the perfect frame, he was also known to hang his photo camera around his neck first thing in the morning. Most of his award-winning work was published in culture magazine Cinema.
A post shared by @marie.caba on Jan 1, 2017 at 12:10pm PST
Known for her erotic black-and-white pictures featuring women clad in transparent robes, adorned in feather boas and decked in jewellery, eighty-six-year-old Romanian-French photographer Irina Ionesco is a rather infamous presence on the list. In the 1970s, she stirred major controversy with the pictures she took of her young daughter Eva, who was pictured striking provocative poses, similar to her mother’s much older models.
A post shared by Luiz Henrique (@luizrique_) on Jan 20, 2017 at 11:00am PST
Mihaela Noroc travelled the world capturing female beauty in a bid to remind everyone that ‘beauty shouldn’t have a definition’. Moreover, she argues that, just as beauty knows no borders, kindness and tolerance shouldn’t either. Her Atlas of Beauty features 500 portraits she took of women of all ages in more than 50 countries.
A post shared by Lavinia Gogu (@laviniagogu) on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:10am PDT
One of the most famous contemporary Romanian photographers, Alex Gâlmeanu‘s work has been published by virtually every fashion magazine in the country and numerous international ones. With personal exhibitions in Bucharest, Paris, Rejkyavik and Cork so far, you can always count on him to take the most original street photographs.
A post shared by Alex Galmeanu (@alexgalmeanu) on Jun 29, 2017 at 11:40pm PDT
23-year-old photographer Felicia Simion brings a personal and surprising touch to everything she captures, be it endearing portraits of her six-year-old cousin or (super)natural landscapes.
A post shared by Felicia Simion (@feliciasimion.photographer) on Jul 21, 2017 at 6:20am PDT
Primarily a fashion photographer, Cosmin Bumbuţ is one of the best known contemporary photographers in the country. His legacy also includes photography magazine Punctum, which he launched in 2009, as well as photo group 7 Days, which he co-founded together with friends from his native Baia Mare.
A post shared by Cosmin Bumbuț (@bumbutz) on Aug 12, 2017 at 2:33am PDT
‘I don’t know who I am, but I am trying to find out’, Cristian Munteanu says of himself. As a photographer, things are much more straightforward. While he is perhaps best known for his series documenting the celebration surrounding the Pentecost in the Lipovan community of Carcaliu village in the Danube Delta, his latest work is even more appealing, due to its undercurrent of irony and the absurd.
A post shared by Cristian Munteanu (@cristianmunteanu23) on Sep 26, 2017 at 10:09am PDT
Born in Șimleu Silvaniei, Hajdu Tamás is a veterinarian-turned-photographer who currently lives in Baia Mare. While he too explores the current themes concerning Romanian society, his vision is novel, witty and ironic enough to make him stand out from the pack.
A post shared by document EAST (@document_east) on Nov 18, 2016 at 10:32am PST
Petruț Călinescu‘s work is fresh and highly suggestive, with a strong under layer of humour. One of his latest projects, dedicated to the suburbs of Bucharest, captures a meeting point of contrasts where the old realities and the new developments in the life of the city are negotiating their territory. His overseas projects, exploring Congo, the area around the Ganges and Cairo can be found here.
A post shared by Petrut Calinescu (@petrut_calinescu) on Sep 22, 2017 at 12:08am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.