Voices in global travel have officially declared what Portugal’s Tourism Office, the Turismo de Portugal, has been communicating for over a year now: you can’t skip Portugal! As big winners in the 2018 World Travel Awards, otherwise known as ‘the travel industry’s Oscars’, Portugal brought home more than 20 awards from the ceremony in Athens, Greece, the most prestigious being Europe’s Leading Destination 2018.
Despite its fairly small size, Portugal has made a big impact on the world of tourism. After all, it’s a country of idyllic beaches and exotic islands, friendly locals and an inviting culture, spa resorts and historic hotels, mouthwatering gastronomy, world-renowned wine, and so much more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
European Best Destinations has listed Portuguese beaches among their top choices for the last few years, and this year’s winner is the Algarve’s scenic resort town of Carvoeiro. The country’s most recent big win (or wins, depending on how you want to look at it) came at this year’s World Travel Awards.
Not only was Portugal named Europe’s Leading Destination, but the Madeira Islands won the award for Europe’s Leading Island Destination, and Lisbon was named Europe’s Leading City Destination. The national flag carrier airline, TAP Air Portugal (remember the world’s most handsome airline crew?), brought home two awards as Europe’s Leading Airline to Africa and South America, and TAP’s UP Magazine was announced Europe’s Leading In-Flight Magazine.
Portugal is also recognised as a destination for adventure-seekers. Despite the massive waves that have put the country on the map for surfers, the levada and mountain trails that call hikers to Madeira, and the diverse Peneda-Gerês National Park, a UNESCO-classified World Biosphere Reserve, it is the Paiva Walkways’ five-plus miles (eight kilometres) of wooden passages through nature that seized recognition as Europe’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction for the third year in a row. The walkways, located between the historic cities of Viseu and Porto, guide visitors through a nature reserve filled with archeological and geological sites and some of Europe’s endangered species.
Despite its reputation as a budget-friendly destination (which it is), Portugal is also a country for luxury-seekers. Located on the sparkling shores of the Algarve, the 5-star Vila Vita Parc Resort and Spa was named first in the category of Europe’s Leading Luxury Hotels & Villas.
So, who wants to visit Europe’s Leading Destination?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.