Enjoy Lisbon’s creative setting while simultaneously spending sunny days along the river by staying in Alcântara, located halfway between Cais do Sodré and Belém. Home to a port and industrial buildings, it has undergone renovation and now boasts a growing arts scene, working space for entrepreneurs, and a lively nightlife, in addition to many more activities.
This strip of industrial brick factories has been converted into a hip neighborhood filled with out-of-the-box souvenir shops, cutesy cafés, and trendy restaurants, and it is home to one of the most attractive bookstores in Lisbon. Spend a day perusing the treasures inside and perhaps buy something special for yourself or a friend. Also on Sundays from 10 AM to 6 PM, the main road is brimming with stands that make up the Sunday Flea Market, one of the best outdoor markets in the capital.
LX Factory, R. Rodrigues de Faria 103, 1300 – 501 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 21 314 3399
Alcântara is a fantastic place to dance the night away to a variety of music, including kizomba, kuduro, and other African-inspired beats. There are a few electronic music clubs in the neighborhood too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discoteca Luanda, Tv. Teixeira Júnior 6, 1300-023 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 962 077 898
Whether you prefer sitting by the river during the day and sipping on a coffee while watching the water or heading out at night for a lively social scene, the Docas de Santo Amaro, or Docas for short, is the place to be in Alcântara. Once a strip of warehouses, the buildings were converted in 1995, and today, the bars and restaurants cover every theme from Italian pizza to Irish pubs and Portuguese eateries. In addition to the Tagus River, patrons will enjoy their view of the 25 of April Bridge from almost directly below.
Armazém CP Doca de Santo Amaro, 1350-353 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 21 396 3535
Who doesn’t love the bright yellow trams that rumble along Lisbon’s windy streets? Now you can learn about their history as well as the history of the city’s public transportation in general. First opened in 2012, the museum was named after the major public transportation company in Lisbon, called Carris, and it showcases vehicles, tickets, uniforms, and more.
Museu da Carris, Rua Primeiro de Maio 101, 1300-472 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 21 361 3087
At least, that’s how they market their slices of chocolatey goodness at Landeau, a chocolate shop in Lisbon with a store in the LX Factory. Soft, semi-sweet yet semi-dark, and addictive, it is a perfect accompaniment alongside a Portuguese espresso.
Landeau, R. Rodrigues de Faria 103, 1300 – 501 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 917 278 939
If you enjoy Asian art, head to the Museu do Oriente, a museum that opened in 2008 to highlight Asian culture and Portugal’s ties during the Age of Discoveries. Inside, the artifacts include paintings, statues, ceramics, textiles, and more. As a special treat, there is also a restaurant serving Asian food inside the museum.
Museu do Oriente, Av. de Brasília 352, 1350 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 21 358 5200
Take a photo from underneath the 25 of April Bridge
The Ponte 25 de Abril, or 25 of April Bridge, is one of the most well-known symbols representing Lisbon. Take a photo or two of the bridge, perhaps capturing the Cristo Rei monument in the background, or snap a selfie from directly underneath.
Enjoy a drink from a rooftop
Rooftop bars are popular in the Portuguese capital, especially with the many hills to take advantage of, and the rooftops in Alcantâra have a perfect view of the river. One favorite spot (especially during the summer) is the bright and colorful Rio Maravilha gastropub in the LX Factory. It offers live music, board games, and terrace seating, in addition to their delicious dishes and cocktail pairings.
Rio Maravilha, R. Rodrigues de Faria 103, 1300 – 501 Lisbon, Portugal, +351 966 028 229
Book a unique tour
The LX Factory is also home to a tour company with an unorthodox name. “We Hate Tourism” tours will show visitors Lisbon and the surrounding cities through the eyes of a local, avoiding tourist traps and ensuring as authentic of an experience as possible.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.