Lisbon offers one of the best city breaks in the world, an enchanting city with the most sunlight in Europe, stunning vistas, ancient history, architecture, beautiful beaches just 15 minutes from the centre, amazing nightlife and delicious food. The addition of MEO Kalorama to the music scene brings yet another layer of enrichment to the cultural side of the city, and one local resident who is set to take the stage at the festival for the inaugural edition has shared his tips for anyone looking to visit.
Did you know you can now book trips with Culture Trip? Check out our full catalogue of once-in-a-lifetime premium itineraries and join us for some travel adventures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Legendary Tigerman is a popular musician in Portugal and has also gained a big following around the world. With a number of studio albums under his belt and an energetic stage presence, he is one of the big names playing at MEO Kalorama this year alongside the likes of The Chemical Brothers, Arctic Monkeys and Chet Faker.
‘Lisbon in 2022 is one of the most exciting cities in Europe’ the singer tells Culture Trip when asked about the city he calls home. ‘It’s full of amazing places to go, either if you’re looking for nightlife or a walk in a park or a visit to a museum.’
‘During the day, you can relax and chill (and have a bite in one of the many cafeterias) at the beautiful Gulbenkian Gardens. If you love art you can also visit the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum (the modern art museum is closed for renovation) with one of the most important private art collections in the world. Another beautiful place to relax is the Tropical Botanical Garden, in Belém, where you can also taste the world famous pastry Pastel de Belém.’
Given his rock roots, you can rely on the following recommendations when looking for somewhere with a trendy edge away from the crowds. ‘A cool area to walk around is the area of the Anjos, or Los Anjos, as the locals call it. A lot cool places to eat, cool indie stores, such as Casa Tigre , the place to go if you like Rock’n’roll, cool clothes, tattoos or motorcycles. There you can drink a beer, walk-in for a tattoo or buy a custom leather jacket painted by Gus Van Sant (yes, the World famous director!). Other cool stores in the area are Couve (vegan clothing), and Retro City (second hand clothing).’
If you’re into eating out, Lisbon has a wide range of restaurants, from traditional Portuguese cuisine to international fine dining. Ljubomir’s Stanisic 100 Maneiras, winner of a Michelin star, is one of the most outrageous gastronomic experiences in Lisbon. From the same chef you can also try Carnal (his new mexican restaurant) or Bistro, both in Chiado. One of the best kept secrets in Lisbon is the small restaurant called A Primavera do Jerónimo, in the heart of Bairro Alto, one of the most amazing places to taste true homemade style Portuguese cuisine. If you like Japanese cuisine, you can’t miss GoJuu, for Lebanese food you should go to Fenicios, and if you like to share traditional cuisine you should go to Povo, in Cais do Sodré.
The modern reputation of the city makes it a popular destination that many travellers have enjoyed in recent years. This wasn’t always the case, but even areas that were previously only frequented by less savoury types have now become must-visit on any trip.
‘Cais do Sodré, once an infamous neighbourhood, inhabited by sailors and all kinds of misfits is the centre of Lisbon’s night life these days. Musicbox is one the clubs where you can watch a band or dance to a DJ every night of the week, but there’s a lot of different places to choose from where you can have a drink or dance, or both. The most iconic club in Lisbon is LUX, a beautiful place by the river, next to Sta Apolónia.’
You can obviously pack out your itinerary with a number of spots but there’s something to be said for just going with the flow. The Legendary Tigerman also thinks that a more leisurely trip is probably the best when in town.
‘You can just walk around and get lost in Lisbon, either in a traditional fado neighbourhood like Alfama, full of restaurants and fado houses, or discover cool bars, restaurants or small stores in the streets of Graça, Bairro Alto or Martim Moniz.’
Lisbon is a super exciting city full of secret places just waiting for you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.