Situated within the area known as the Pombaline Lower Town, after 18th-century Portuguese statesman the Marquês de Pombal, the Baixa district is one of Lisbon’s most charming and popular areas. Filled with restaurant, cafés and beautiful buildings, there is an abundance of things to see and do. Here we explore the best restaurants that the area has to offer.
Another gem in the area is the Taberna da Baixa, an excellent option for brunch, lunch or tapas. Situated in the heart of the Baixa district, the Taberna makes itself enthusiastically available for a range of cultural events from live music to wine tastings. A trip here may just help you to stumble upon some authentic local culture. Geared towards light lunches and snacks, this is the perfect place to soak up the sun and atmosphere over a platter of shared Lisbon delicacies.
Address: Rua dos Fanqueiros, 161, Baixa, Lisbon, +351 21 887 0290
Quiet and classy, Restaurante Largo is a chic modern environment and is the winner of a coveted Premio Turismo Portugal award. Enjoying the attentions of international chef Miguel Castro e Silva, Restaurante Largo is a serious undertaking and a fixture in upmarket Lisbon gastronomy. Equally striking is the design of the building, the work of esteemed Portuguese Miguel Cancio Martins, it boasts a range of dining spaces of subtly distinct décors, with one compelling twist being a vast range of aquarium tanks containing live jellyfish.
Address: Rua Serpa Pinto, 1200-445 Lisbon, +351 21 347 7225
One of a chain of restaurants run by chef José Avillez, the Cantinho do Avillez is a relaxed and modern atmosphere. Carefully designed with old-school furnishings by architect Ana Anahory and decorator Felipa Almeida, the interior is designed to be reassuringly cheerful and simple, and is conducive to enjoyment of the well-executed Portuguese cuisine. Avillez is the first Portuguese to score two Michelin stars, and Cantinho is an excellent option for those who wish to experience the best of Portuguese cuisine.
Address: Rua Duques de Bragança, Lisbon, +351 21 199 2369
To Burger Or Not To Burger, to give its full name, is a zanier outfit altogether and is found on Rua Capelo, conveniently around the corner from the Baixa/Chiado metro station and the Largo de Camões. A quality burger restaurant, To.B commits serious effort to providing an uncommonly broad variety of products and condiments, indeed, it is one of a very few Portuguese establishments where you might be able to track down a veggie burger. A wide selection of sauces and delicious chips rounds off the experience at this unique and refreshing restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address: Rua Capelo, 24, Chiado, Lisbon, +351 21 347 1046
Sea Me is a new innovation in Portugal’s continuing love affair with seafood, offering Asian-themed dishes alongside new permutations of the classics. It’s the place to be if you’d like to take a step outside the standard Portuguese set menu, an experience new twists on European and Japanese dishes alike. Set in a spacious, modernistic environment with the traditional open-view kitchen unit at the head of the room, this is a fine night out for fish and seafood enthusiasts.
Address: Rua do Loreto 21, Lisbon, +351 21 346 1564
O Povo (‘The people’), near to the riverbank, is attempting to revive the role of the traditional Portuguese tasca or tavern. To this end, it cultivates the best poetry and music of the surrounding area, and employs a number of musicians, focusing particularly on practitioners of fado song. Good for a light lunch salad or sandwich, O Povo serves hot tapas snacks every night until midnight, and continues to serve cold food through the small hours.
Address: Rua Nova do Carvalho 32-36, Lisbon, +351 21 347 3403
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.