No matter the season, there is always a festival taking place in Portugal, and the locals sure know how to throw a party. Among the most well-known events are the outdoor concerts and Popular Saints Festivals, especially those in Lisbon and Porto, but there are plenty of others to experience and enjoy. Many celebrations center around religious events, a couple of them pertain to myths and legends, and a few are organized simply for the sake of fun (well, they’re all fun). There are plenty of events to check out in Portugal, but the following festivals are among the best.
Óbidos Medieval Festival
Is it possible to find a cooler spot for a medieval fair than in front of a castle in a city within fortified walls? From mid-July to early August, head to one of Portugal’s most charming medieval cities for jousting, knights, a medieval market, and multiple shows. Try the meats, the wine, and the cheeses while sipping simultaneously on the local ginja, a cherry-flavored liquor. Not only will you walk away with many unique memories but maybe a few souvenirs as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Óbidos International Chocolate Festival
Are you planning on visiting Óbidos earlier than mid-summer? Head over during the spring for a tasty experience. The Óbidos International Chocolate Festival is the place for chocolate lovers between March and April and includes a cooking class and tastings.
Festival of the Crosses in Barcelos
The story goes that the concept for the Festival of the Crosses, or the Festival das Cruzes in Portuguese, started when a large cross appeared on the ground in front of a villager. Seen as a message from the heavens, it sparked this yearly springtime festival that over time transitioned from purely religious to cultural and entertaining. The Festival of the Crosses includes music, folk dances, food, crafts, and storytelling. Perhaps while visiting, a local can tell you the entire story of the cross’s apparition, in addition to the legend of the Barcelos Rooster, which is another popular narrative from the same area.
Serralves in Festival
The greatest celebration of contemporary art in Portugal is hosted primarily during June at the country’s largest and most important contemporary art museum. Mostly organized in the beautiful estate of the Serralves Foundation in Porto, the festival runs for two straight days and celebrates all forms of art from literature and cinema to painting and sculpture, as well as the musical arts. The festival’s reach stretches across Porto as well, and some events run in the city’s historic downtown.
Festival of the Trays in Tomar
Known in Portuguese as the Festival dos Tabuleiros, this event has occurred once every four years since the 16th century, so plan accordingly. Although it’s a religious event dedicated to the Holy Spirit, bread and flowers are the major attractions, and local girls walk through the city with trays of each on their heads. Taking place in Tomar at the beginning of July, the Festival dos Tabuleiros is as much a visual feast as it is cultural and spiritual, and the next event is scheduled for 2019.
If you can’t visit Brazil during Carnaval (and plan on being in Europe), then head over to Portugal. The entire country comes alive with street parties, but a few of the best happen in Torres Vedras (north of Lisbon), Bragança (in the northeast), and Loulé in the Algarve (which hosts one of the oldest-running Carnaval parties in Portugal).
Festival dos Rapazes
Boys will be boys, and around Christmastime in northern Portugal, that means dressing in wild costumes and running around causing innocent mayhem. In a way, the Festival dos Rapazes, or “Festival of the Boys,” is a sweet 16 celebration for young men, celebrating their passage from childhood to manhood. Dressed in masks, colorful costumes, and bells, the boys run around town playing music, singing songs, and playfully teasing passersby. Many of the most popular festivities occur in the Tras-os-Montes region in northeast Portugal.
Lisbon Fish and Flavors
Eating is one of the best things to do in Lisbon, and the festival known as Fish and Flavors is an experience that may top foodie charts. The festival, which occurs yearly during the early spring, asks chefs and restaurants from around Portugal and the world to share their favorite finfish and seafood recipes. Among the culinary minds invited are a few of the country’s top Michelin five-star chefs.
The end of summer is never easy, but Portugal bids the season farewell in a classy and fun way. Noite Branca, meaning the White Night, is exactly what it sounds like—a street party where everyone dresses in white. Actually, your outfit is your ticket as the entrance is free, and the only entry requirement is following the dress code. Music, dancing, food, and performances take place the entire time, which in Braga means 48 hours of fun.
Festas do Espírito Santo in the Azores
The Azores are full of unique events, but the Festas do Espírito Santo in Ponta Delgada is perhaps among the most colorful. It’s also the biggest religious event on the islands, taking place five weeks after Easter Sunday. Flowery mosaics decorate the major walkways, and along with a parade, there are a variety of booths to visit and a fair. This event is also one of the easiest to visit since the Ponta Delgada Airport is one of the main entryways into this beautiful archipelago.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.