More tourists are visiting Portugal than ever before and many are taking every opportunity to explore as much of the country as possible. Still, a few spectacular cities continue to be overlooked – a shame because they are some of the best places for experiencing the culture, learning about the history and paying bargain prices. The Culture Trip already listed the most underrated places to visit in 2017, but here is an abridged compilation of places you may never think to visit but definitely should.
Whether choosing public transportation or driving a car, travelling through Portugal is a memorable experience. One of the main reasons is the country’s many castles, which pop up in unexpected areas such as the side of highways and in the middle of the mountains. Although it has made a name for itself as one of the most charming towns in Portugal and as a romantic destination, Óbidos continues to be overlooked by many tourists, especially outside the prime vacation season so fall, winter and spring are all great seasons to visit. This city within castle walls is stunning from the first moment it’s seen from the A8 highway to Lisbon from central Portugal, and the beauty blooms inside the city gates.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Two cities that will grasp the attention of history lovers are Guimarães and Coimbra. The former has been categorised as the place where the Portuguese nation was born and as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Located in the northwestern region, it is easily reachable from Porto for a nice day trip. It is believed that Portugal’s first king was born in the city’s 11th-century castle, a medieval landmark that was renovated in the 20th century and considered one of the most enchanting castles in Portugal.
Coimbra, on the other hand, is known as a ‘college town’ but is also another of the oldest cities. Filled with a mix of architectural styles and sitting along the Mondego River, Coimbra is visually stunning and one of its most notable landmarks is the Joanina Library inside the Coimbra University, one of the top 10 oldest universities in continuous operation in the world. Coimbra also happens to be where Portugal’s first king was buried, his tomb resting inside the 12th-century Santa Cruz Monastery.
True, plenty of tourists come to Portugal for the beach and water sports, yet despite the surfing schools and surf-themed hostels, Sagres is often overlooked for Lagos and many of the beaches in central Portugal. Remote and peaceful, it isn’t only a destination for water enthusiasts but also for anyone wanting to get away from the party scene experienced in the Algarve, while still enjoying the fresh seafood, nature and culture of the region. Another great option in the Algarve is traditional and magnificent Faro, usually skipped despite being the region’s capital centre.
At the opposite end of the country, in the northeast corner, Bragança is the regional capital of Tras-os-Montes and home to perhaps the most underrated city in the entire Iberian Peninsula. The stone cottages and the slow, unhurried pace of life will make tourists feel like they jumped to another time, rather than another part of Portugal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.