The artist Joana Vasconcelos has been selected to represent Portugal at this year’s 55th Venice Biennale. Along with Curator Miguel Amado, the artist will display a project entitled Trafaria Praia, in which an acacilheiro, or ferry, will be transformed into a floating pavilion and artwork.
The theme of the international art exhibition has been chosen by Curator Massimiliano Gioni as Il Palazzo Enciclopedic, or “The Encyclopedic Palace.” Gioni explains that there is a clear correlation between artist’s visions of the classical period in relation to aspirations of the modern times. He wishes to “give tangible form to both, down to the present time when there is a real reversal.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vasconcelos expands this objective in her piece Trafaria Praia. The work addresses the similarities between the two cities in question: Lisbon and Venice. It examines three specific similarities that the geographical locations share: water, navigation, and the vessel. Both places maintain a significant role within history for broadening the European worldview during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. The work is intended as an idealistic gesture on behalf of Joana Vasconcelos; a metaphorical circumvention of the power struggles that mark international relations today. This is a common practice for the artist who often appropriates everyday objects and meticulously transforms them.
Portugal does not have a typical pavilion in the Giardini, so the artist along with curator Miguel Amado, decided to bring to Venice the Trafaria Praia and present it as a floating pavilion. It was commissioned by Direção-Geral das Artes, a Portuguese state agency operating under the auspices of the Secretário de Estado da Cultura, Governo de Portugal. The ferry boat will be coated with a panel of tiles which reproduces a contemporary view of Lisbon, making reference to the Grande Panorama de Lisboa by Gabriel del Barco (dating from 1700).
The piece aims to give a contemporary view of Lisbon before the earthquake in 1755. The blue and white tones will continue into the interior of the boat, where the textile installation will occupy the whole deck. Tentacles of blue and white crochet will turn on and off slowly, giving the visitor the sensation of travelling in the interior of a “living organism” according to Vasconcelos herself. The quarterdeck will display a stage in which various Portuguese art-related public programmes will take place. Activities such as conferences, debates and live music, will serve to inform the international public about Portuguese culture. The ferry boat itself will sail around the Venice lagoon at regular intervals daily.
Born in 1971 in Lisbon, Joana Vasconcelos presently lives and works within the capital. She has exhibited regularly in Portugal and abroad since the mid-1990s. Last year in 2012, she became the first woman and the youngest artist ever to present her work at the Palace of Versailles in France. The Portuguese artist is represented by several international galleries such as Haunch of Venison (London and New York) and Galerie Nathalie Obadia (Paris and Brussels). She is known for her work on installations and sculpture which play on the banality of everyday objects with themes of irony and feminism.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.