In an ideal world, a trip to the Algarve would last at least a full weekend to take in its pristine beaches, blue waters, and delicious cuisine. It’s still possible to see the many attractions this area of Portugal has to offer if you’re short on time though, including its resorts, golf courses, bars, seafood restaurants, clubs, and miles upon miles of coastline. Take a look at our guide to help you make the most of your time away.
Arrival – afternoon
The two main attractive spots that visitors flock to are Faro and Lagos – from there, people choose their onward destination depending on what they’re looking for. Parties or relaxation? Hip and modern, or quaint and traditional? The good thing is that the Algarve has it all.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore the Ria Formosa lagoon by boat
Ria Formosa is a beautiful blue-green tidal lagoon with mud flats that was recently designated one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Portugal. While truly beautiful, it may not appeal to those in search of an action-packed break – the boat tours are peaceful affairs made for lounging on deck and soaking up the sun, or taking an Instagram-worthy snap or two of the local birdlife and picture-perfect surroundings. Boat tours leave from several points in the area, including the departure zone in Faro.
Hit the shops
Whether you’re looking for a keepsake souvenir, just love shopping, or simply want to people watch, the Algarve is full of shopping opportunities, especially in Faro and Lagos. These spots are also great for finding cafés to enjoy a coffee and one of the area’s many sweets, which should be sampled as the Portuguese have a notorious sweet tooth for pastries, breads, puddings, and cakes.
Go on a driving or walking tour
Whether you’ve chosen to stay in one of the tourist zones, or you’ve strayed a bit off the beaten path to more secluded gems like the town of Tavira, stretch your legs and explore the area on foot. If you’re renting a car, take the opportunity to discover why everyone loves the Algarve’s beaches. Among the most popular are Praia do Camilo in Lagos, Praia da Marinha in Lagoa, Praia da Oura near Albufeira, and Ilha de Tavira. Other highlights include traditional Portuguese towns like Loulé, which has charming historical castle fortifications, and is home to some great markets. Try to visit the red-hued Silves Castle, just north of Albufeira, which gets its colour from red sandstone.
Get stuck into Portuguese cuisine
No matter which city you choose to stay in, there won’t be any shortage of restaurants for enjoying great southern Portuguese food – usually, that means seafood. Dinnertime may seem a little late, generally between 8pm and 10pm, which is common for Portugal. There are also plenty of spots to try frango assado (piri-piri chicken) and other traditional Portuguese recipes – many restaurants come with spectacular coastal and beach views. If you’re not sure where to eat and want options, the Vilamoura Marina offers many chic restaurants with in a striking setting.
Wind down with a cool cocktail
After dinner, why not find a cozy spot to sit and enjoy a glass of wine or a trendy cocktail? Aside from seafood and beaches, the Algarve is known for its nightlife, which begins right around dinner time. If starting early (or wrapping the night up early), visit a beach-side bar like NoSoloÁgua in Portimão for music and drinks with views over the sea. Party-goers will also have many options to keep the night going, especially near Albufeira.
Start the day right with a one-of-a-kind breakfast
Is there anything that pairs better with coffee than Portugal’s famous pastéis de nata? Maybe not! These caramelized egg custard tarts are a great way to start the day right. As a preferred vacation destination for many Europeans, the Algarve also caters to a wide demographic – breakfasts here include croissants, jam, cheeses, honey, and fruits, as well many venues specifically geared towards English-speaking visitors serving up an English breakfast, complete with eggs, beans, toast, and tomatoes.
Catch some early morning sun
The two best times to visit the beach in Portugal (especially in the Algarve) are mornings before noon, and afternoons after 3pm. Between noon and 3pm, the sun is at its strongest and locals know to retreat indoors (as a plus, this is a good time for lunch anyway).
Find a bargain at an outdoor market
Fresh fruit and vegetables, quirky clothing, and even more unique accessories can be found in many of the Algarve’s markets, and there always seems to be one going on somewhere in the area. Try to visit one of the gypsy markets for more variety and great deals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.