Perhaps the most underrated city of Southern Portugal’s idyllic Algarve region, Faro is a vibrant melting pot of cultural exchange where talented young artists from all across the globe come to seek inspiration. This hidden gem boasts an enviable array of contemporary galleries nestled somewhat incongruously amongst the city’s venerable old streets. Read on as we uncover some of Faro’s finest galleries waiting in the undiscovered, avant-garde underbelly of this historic, deceptively sleepy city.
Galería do Arte Arco
We begin our journey with perhaps the most awe-inspiring setting for one of the smallest of Faro’s contemporary galleries. Set atop Faro’s formidable medieval city walls, the Galería do Arte Arco’s surroundings themselves make it worth a visit, offering magnificent views across the Algarve’s Ria Formosa lagoons. The Arco gallery focuses mainly on contemporary Portuguese art, but also contains a somewhat unsettling collection of vintage toys from the first half of the early 20th century, comprising some 600 artefacts from different countries, including dolls, toy trains and cars. Temporary exhibitions are put on throughout the year, so if you are looking for something original in the heart of Algarve, it’s always worth a visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Galería do Arte Arco, Rua do Arco, Faro, Portugal, +351 289 80 1037
Galería de Arte Trem
Tucked away inside former military barracks, the Galería de Arte Trem was only converted to its current function in the 1990s. It can be found just off the central square of Faro’s Ciudad Velha, or Old Town. Housing a collection of paintings, sculptures and audio/ video installations by renowned artists from both the local area and as far afield as the United States, the gallery betrays a determinedly avant-garde facade that seeks to showcase the fresh, creative, profoundly modern side of the city. Recent exhibitions have included the dark conceptual ‘Mapping’ by Portuguese artist Mariana Madeira. Like so much of her performative, audio and sculptural work, such installations strive to expose uncomfortable truths about politics, war and society in the modern world.
Galería de Arte Trem, Rua do Trem, Faro, Portugal, +351 289 804 197
Although based in Faro, the Artadentro project aims to represent all manner of visual arts from the surrounding Algarve region as well as Portugal more widely. Also located in Faro’s historic Old Town, this Contemporary Art Association was founded in 2003 as a non-profit cultural organisation, committed to disseminating contemporary art throughout the Algarve. With a focus on experimental art and the stimulation of regional work, the gallery seeks to promote lesser-known artists hoping to make it big, so be sure to keep an eye out for future stars of the art world when you visit.
Artadentro, Rua Rasquinho 7, Faro, Portugal, + 351 289802754
Galería Nova Margem
One of the founding fathers of contemporary art galleries in Faro, the Galería Nova Margem was painstakingly built up from a ruined, crumbling old barracks complex into what is now an exciting and highly individual little enterprise exhibiting contemporary Portuguese and international artwork. Established with the aim of providing the city with a space where modern art could exercise its authority and potential, this charming gallery displays as wide an array of avant-garde experimentation and cultural manifestations as possible. Spread over two floors, artworks embellish every wall of this fantastically alternative venue, proffering the authentic visions of numerous regional artists to the curious wanderer who drifts inside. Temporary exhibitions, individual artists’ presentations and shows take place frequently, so you will always be sure to find something new.
Galería Nova Margem, Rua do Castelo 1, Faro, Portugal, +351 963268142
Galería de Arte Exstare
One of the smaller contemporary galleries in Faro, the Exstare gallery is nevertheless a popular choice with art-loving locals. Concentrating mainly on the work of artists from the surrounding area, the gallery puts on various exhibitions, shows, lectures and discussions over the year. Featuring art from names like Christóvão Neto, Inês Ramos, Noémio Ramos and Ricardo Lopes, all kinds of media, from traditional painting to computer technology, find a comfortable home in this idealistic, expressive little institution.
Arc 16 Galería
‘To create spaces of mystery is better than building certainties’ is the thinking behind the Arc 16 Galería. Another fantastic jewel of a gallery, hidden away in the labyrinth of central Faro, this is truly a joy to behold. A light, airy, surprisingly sizeable space accommodating a stunning selection of painting and sculpture from national and international contemporary artists, it organizes solo and group exhibitions and events throughout the year. Past artists featured have included Mário Rodrigues, Gabriel Gutiérrez Vasquez, Luisa Nogueira and Teresa Dias Coelho. The gorgeous selection of reasonably-priced, high-quality artwork adorning its walls makes this one of our favorite undiscovered contemporary galleries.
Arc 16 Galería, Rua de S. Luis 82, Faro, Portugal, + 351 961 529 697
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.