Lisbon’s Mercado da Ribeira has been a landmark since the 1890s when the market’s doors first opened in Cais do Sodré, but it was never as trendy as it has become today. It is now home to the Time Out Market, a food court run by its namesake, Time Out Lisboa Magazine. Whether you’re looking for a place to eat, a cool spot to hang out, or are with a group of indecisive hungry travelers, heading to the Time Out Market is a great plan.
Walk through the main doors and you will see a large food court lined in stalls selling a variety of Portuguese food, sweets, and drinks. At one far end, these stalls sell budget-friendly samples from a few of the country’s Michelin star chefs, each hailing from a different region of Portugal. A few top names include Portuguese Top Chef winner Alexandre Silva, 2005 Chef of the Year recipient Henrique Sá Pessoa, Marlene Vieira who hails from northern Portugal, and Porto-born Miguel Castro e Silva whose francesinha is definitely worth trying.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For more than a glimpse of the original farmer and fish market, swing by anytime before 2 PM and take a walk around. The Mercado da Ribeira also sells flowers and a number of souvenirs.
The big reason the venue stays busy, however, is the Time Out Market. The communal seating arrangement makes it easy for groups to stay together but during peak hours space becomes a bit snug. There are also restaurants with terrace seating around the perimeter of the historical building.
In addition to the well-known chef-run stalls are others that reflect a variety of cuisines from sushi to pizza and plenty in between. There is Santini (one of Lisbon’s favorite ice cream companies), Nós é Mais Bolos (serving a variety of Portugal’s favorite sweets), Manteigaria (for more than a bite of Lisbon’s famous pasteis de nata), and Sea Me (where seafood enthusiasts can try Portuguese and international fish and seafood dishes).
The center of the food court serves drinks, including Beer Experience Superbock, but wine aficionados will want to swing by Manteigaria Silva, which is actually a stall selling cold dry-cured meats (like presunto) and national cheeses, or the Garrafeira Nacional where many Portuguese wines can be found by the bottle.
The food court is certainly the star of the show but Time Out Market has a second facet which is attracting its own following. It’s also a space where freelancers and entrepreneurs can find their “second home” and that’s exactly what the co-working space is called, Second Home.
From street food to stalls inspired by high-end restaurants (like Tartar-ia, whose Chef Dieter Koschina is the mastermind behind the Vila Joya restaurant in the Algarve), Time Out Market seems to have something for everyone.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.