Hot beer? You must be kidding! You mean warm ale right? No. This is Grzane Piwo, or Grzaniec, which is exactly as it says – hot beer. But not just beer that has been heated up. Spices and flavours have been added, and it is served to perfection in bars all over Poland. It’s a must-try for tourists, especially in winter months. Here’s a quick guide.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What exactly is Grzane piwo?
Grzaniec, also known as Grzane Piwo (hot beer) is exactly that. It is beer that is mulled and served hot – not cold, not warm. But there is more to Grzaniec than just the temperature. The beer also contains added spices and ingredients to give it a unique zesty flavour. However, the name Grzaniec can also mean hot wine or mulled wine, so be aware of this when ordering, in some cases, it might be best to simply ask for ‘hot beer’ in English. A popular brand of the wine variety is called Grzaniec Galicyjski.
How can you make Grzane piwo?
Recipes for Grzane piwo can differ, and venues all over Poland offer different varieties. The most common types are with cinnamon or raspberry. Here is a quick guide on how to make the cinnamon and ginger flavour Grzane piwo:
turn on the hob
pour 500 ml of normal unpasteurised beer into a saucepan
add 3 tablespoons of honey
add 1 large orange 1 teaspoon of cloves
add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
add 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
add 1 egg yolk (optional)
stir for a few minutes
once it bubbles, it’s ready!
Where can you try Grzane piwo?
Grzane piwo is generally sold all over Poland and is very easy to find in bars and restaurants, especially in winter. You can also buy it in bottles from off-licences or supermarkets. These bottles are ready-made with the mixture and are ready to go – simply pour it into the saucepan at home and heat it before drinking. However, these three venues in these top Polish cities of Warsaw, Poznań and Gdańsk serve up a decent drop. As the Polish say, Na zdrowie!
Gruba Ryba Restauracja, Gdańsk
Restaurant, Polish, Seafood, $
Gruba Ryba (fat/large fish) is right by the pier in Brzeźno, Gdańsk and is a superb spot to sip a Grzane piwo and eat some good seafood by one of Poland’s nicest beaches.
Bar, Polish, $$
The city of Poznań is famous for its ice festival every December, which takes place in the Old Town Square. Nearby there are a few bars and restaurants that serve up a good drop of Grzaniec. A great place to try it is Basilium Bar, which has over five types of hot beer and also specialises in craft beer. Get a cosy seat and order up their finest hot beer!
Łysy Pingwin, Warsaw
Bar, Pub, Polish, Pub Grub, $
A great haunt to try two different types of Grzane piwo is the Łysy Pingwin (Bald penguin) bar in Warsaw’s Praga district. They have a hot, dark beer and a light, dark beer to sample in a cosy artistic setting on the famous Ząbkowska Street.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.