Kościan is a small Polish town in the Wielkopolska (Greater Poland) Province with a population of around 24,000. It is located only 40 kilometres from Poznań, the Province’s capital and main hub. Kościan offers the intrepid traveller an interesting side trip or day adventure away from Poznań, and is reachable easily by train or bus. Here are the pick of the city’s activities.
Statues of Pope John Paul II are few and far between, at the Pope’s own request. Before his death, the iconic Polish Pope asked that statues in his honour should not be built, as that is wasted money that would be better spent on orphanages and charities. However Kościan has one such statue on Plac Niezłomnych (Steadfast Square) that is in a tranquil location with some flower beds surrounding it.
In winter months, the famous Polish tipple Grzaniec (also known as Grzane Piwo) is a hot beer with added spices that is readily available. For a treat in Kościan, head to the Basement Bar, known locally as Piwnica. Here you can enjoy your hot beer, eat Italian pizza and watch football in a cosy underground bar with no windows.
Like most Polish towns, Kościan has a pretty Old Town Square. Its centrepiece is the impressive own hall. It is a large white building sitting in the middle of the square. It has a clock tower and is four storeys tall. Also in the square are some cafes, bars and restaurants. There are tourist information boards that give further insight into the town’s history.
Attend the town’s annual charity football tournament
If you are lucky enough to be in Kościan during December, be ready for a real treat. The town plays host to a popular charity football tournament where stars from across Poland come to play in a day long affair in the name of charity. Organised by a local Kościan resident and keen football fan, Jan Budzynski, the tournament is held in the town’s leisure centre. Over 100 players take part in two competitions – one female and one male. There are prizes for the winners, but most of all, money is raised for charities year after year. Ex-Polish league players and current Polish female internationals take part as well as some surprise stars.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the highlights to your trip to Kościan will surely be the adventure to Jabłonowski Palace in Racot. This is a very unusual and interesting palace as it was designed by Domenico Merlini, the same architect who designed the famous Łazienki Palace in Warsaw. The palace is painted yellow and white and sits in an elaborate garden complex.
On first glance, Kościan doesn’t appear to be a particularly old town. However, after your visit to the museum, you will be keen to know where the remainders of the medieval walls can be found. There are some remains of the walls including a gate, at Wały Żegockiego.
There is a scenic cycling trail that leads from Kościan to the nearby rural villages of Racot and Nowy Dębiec. For a start, Racot is where the aforementioned Jabłonowski Palace is located. There is also a renowned horse farm in Racot and a leafy park. Continue along the cycling trail to Nowy Dębiec for a taste of rural magic. Here, there is a lake and a beach that gets busy on hot summer days despite the fact that the village only has around 150 residents.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.