Sitting at the foot of the Tatra Mountains in Poland, Zakopane is a charming ski resort for winter sport lovers – with lots of hiking in the summer months, too. Boasting five small ski areas, the town is also home to some fantastic hotels. From wooden chalets to modern pads, boutique to large resort, there’s something for all types of mountain lovers here. Book one of these hotels in Zakopane for your next outdoor getaway.
Expect sheepskin throws, leather couches and crackling fires at this elegant hotel, located in the heart of the town. The 99 rooms and suites are contemporary and cosy, decorated in neutral shades, with velux windows, smart bathrooms and sumptuous beds. There’s a great spa, and the restaurant serves local specialties with a modern twist, such as venison served with spinach bread, foie gras and cherry vodka.
Traditional and luxurious, this spa hotel is near the train station and within easy reach of the ski area. Spread over four floors, the rooms range from single and economy rooms to grand suites that sleep up to four people. Those looking for pampering will find it in the spa with its sauna, jacuzzi, indoor pool and treatment rooms. Families are also well catered for, with cots, children’s toiletries, a kids’ pool and playroom available.
Ideal for active holidaymakers, this three-star hotel is perfectly placed for a range of mountain activities, including winter skiing and summer hiking. Head to the pool or squash court to burn off your energy, or relax in the sauna or jacuzzi. Most of the 41 rooms – which include triple rooms – have balconies overlooking the Tatra Mountains. The bar is perfect to enjoy a glass of wine by the fire or sunbathing on the terrace, while the restaurant serves buffet breakfasts and regional dinners.
With ski rental in the winter and bike hire in the summer, this large resort at the foot of Nosal Mountain is ideal for an outdoors escape. There’s a vast wellness centre, which includes a Finnish sauna, 20-metre pool and jacuzzi tubs. Treatments use organic products and are tailored to the individual. Children will love the play areas and kids’ Zumba sessions – plus there’s a children’s menu in the modern restaurant, which serves Polish specialities among other cuisines.
Hotel Wersal, halfway between town and the mountains, offers luxurious accommodation, a fabulous wellness centre and à la carte dining. Highlights from the Italian-inspired menu include beef carpaccio with truffle cream and fresh gnocchi. There’s a range of room options to suit all budgets, from the snug singles and economy doubles, to the Versailles Studio – which has oodles of space, antique furniture and gold draped curtains.
Families and couples are well catered for at Gold Hotel, which has good facilities for children, plus boutique style and wellness on tap. There’s a kids’ playroom and the hotel has supplies for babies, including highchairs and cots. Alternatively, unwind in the spa, where treatments include a dark chocolate and honey body treatment. Refuel after a day of activities in the restaurant, which serves everything from hearty burgers to healthy soups.
This family-friendly hotel has 136 comfortable rooms, a modern restaurant and bar, a relaxing spa and direct access to an aqua park. Kids will love the slides and river rapids of the water park. There are even special spa treatments for children, such as the Blueberry Bubble Gum Massage. For adults, rejuvenating treatments are on offer, along with a sauna, steam room and gym. Dinner options range from roast duck to soup made with bryndza (sheep milk cheese).
After a day in the mountains, this centrally-located hotel provides a warm welcome. The restaurant offers a mix of Tatra Highlands specialities and international cuisine, using fresh, local and seasonal ingredients. Rooms vary in size – from cosy, affordable single rooms to giant suites with two marble bathrooms with tubs, perfect for a post-ski soak. The hotel also has a sauna and jacuzzi.
Smart and contemporary, this family-friendly hotel is in a convenient location between the town centre and the foot of the Tatra Mountains. Rooms are bright and spacious, and include family rooms and apartments for those seeking extra space. Most have balconies with great mountain views. After a long day of skiing, the wellness centre – complete with a pool, hot tub, sauna and mud treatments – is just the place to revive yourself. Choose from two restaurants, two bars and a spa cafe to refuel.
Planning on seeing more of Poland? Cut costs and enjoy a wallet-friendly stay at these top backpacker hostels in Poland, bookable on Culture Trip. If you’re heading to Wroclaw, check out our guide to the best hotels in the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.