Nestled between a series of rugged rocky outcrops in the Jura Uplands north of Krakow, the Ojców National Park is a real wonder to behold. It’s peppered with needle-like spires of limestone, crisscrossed by babbling rivers and winding hiking trails, it’s also the smallest of all the national parks in Poland, and – thanks to the proximity to the city (just 20 kilometers from the famous Stare Miasto itself) – certainly one of the most accessible.
Things to see in the Ojców National Park
What makes Ojców truly unique is the sheer wealth of awesome attractions that are packed into its humble 21 square kilometers. Visitors who park – like most do – in the small village of Ojców itself, located on the far northern fringes of the main park area, will be within easy reach of most of these.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At the top of the hill, right by the largest car park is the enchanting Gothic medley of gatehouses and bulwarks that is Kazimierz’s Castle. Built in the 1300s as part of the Polish king’s formidable line of defensive structures known as the Eagle Nests, this lichen-spotted complex is now half-ruined, but still rarely fails to capture the imagination.
Also nearby is the pretty Castle on Pieskowa Rock. This is considered one of the finest examples of the Polish Renaissance architectural style, having been expanded and added to by countless kings and monarchs over the centuries. It’s surrounded by manicured gardens, is adorned with elegant 16th century arcades and has some fantastic views over the rugged rocky peaks on the north side of the reserve
And talking of rocky peaks, Ojców has loads. There’s the gravity-defying Maczuga Herkulesa (Hercules’s Club), which stands, steeped in myth and legend, on the edge of the roadside leading into the area. There’s the Skała Biała Ręk (the White Hand Rock), mimicking fingers as it erupts from the earth. And there are other, bulbous and shaped domes of stone that seem to enclose the whole reserve in a wall of ancient geology.
Adventuring in the Ojców National Park
Precisely because it’s so small, the reserve at Ojców doesn’t offer the same expansive hiking and biking trails as some of Poland’s other national parks (like the High Tatras or Babia Góra). However, it’s still got some beautiful paths to wander, all of which weave past the famous rock spires or delve deep into the thick broadleaf forests.
The most popular of these starts on the northern edge of the reserve, under the towering bulwarks of Kazimierz’s Castle. This crosses wide grassy meadows as it weaves along into Ojców with the courses of the Prądnik River, passing rustic little cottages (some even offering beds for the night) and traditional Polish taverns as it goes. Visitors up for a climb can finish this trail by scaling to the top of Jonaszówka Rock, which has great views of the park’s main valley.
Another great trail delves into the park from the roadsides on its western edge. It pierces the thickest section of woodland as it winds past the entrance to Grota Łokietka (another of the top attractions here), eventually coming out at Jonaszówka Rock and the trout farms in the heart of the reserve. It’s the perfect choice if you came to Ojców for some bird-watching, or to see the bountiful array of more than 1000 blooming plant species in the summer.
Getting to the Ojców National Park
The best way to get to Ojców National Park is by car. You can drive north out of the city and arrive there in under 40 minutes, there’s plenty of paid on-site parking. Alternatively, you can ride a local bus for 5 zloty (£1) to the northern entrance – these leave from outside Krakow‘s main shopping centre, Galeria Krakowska.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.