Whether it’s hearty dumplings packed with potato and topped with sizzled onions or a bubbling broth of rye flour and sausage, there’s bound to be something on this list of Poland’s top must-try dishes for every travelling foodie. Enjoy…
No list of Poland’s must-eat foods could possibly be complete without a mention of the pierogi ruskie dumpling. A simple and tasty little packet of dough that’s filled to the brim with cream cheese and potato, these are served right across the country. They are a mainstay on the menus of Polish taverns and milk bars, and rarely fail to stave off the hunger. There are several other types of pierogi to sample aside from the hearty ruskie version: with meat, cabbage and mushroom.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A fast-food treat from the depths of southern Poland, the zapiekanka is a filling, half baguette that’s topped with mounds of cheese, mushrooms and chives. After that, diners can choose whatever other extras they’d like, as the menus burst with everything from Greek feta cheese to smoky Polish blood sausage. Zapiekanka aren’t so common in the cities of the north – Warsaw, Gdansk – and are a trademark food from the Kazimierz Jewish Quarter of Krakow.
Originating from the eastern forests of Poland, along the border with Belarus, Ukraine and Lithuania (where there are also similar versions of the dish), the broiling hotpot of country flavours known as bigos is another top national food. Packing in red cabbage and sauerkraut, cured ham and pork shoulder, bacon bits and bay leaves, juniper berries and onions, the whole thing is a heart-warming belly filler. Oh, and did we mention that it’s typically served with a vodka shot or two?
Ah, Paczki – everyone loves a Paczki. Essentially Poland’s answer to the doughnut of the west, this sugar-topped bun is packed with a whole host of possible flavours. Curiously, one of the most popular is rose, while other variations include custard, chocolate and strawberry jam. The paczki is sold in bakeries right throughout the year, but it’s traditional to eat them on so-called Fat Thursday, which marks the beginning of Lent.
When the winter snows fall and the mercury dips below the zero mark, the Polish kitchen has a whole load of awesome soups to warm the bones. None are more iconic than classic zurek though. This sour rye broth is made from floured stock and herbs. It’s left to boil for some time before the chef adds in a healthy smattering of chopped boiled eggs and smoked sausage. Then, the whole lot is served in a loaf of bread (at least, that’s the way they do it in the tourist taverns!).
Take one soft-boiled cabbage leaf and pack it with a medley of pork and fried onions, rice barley and herbs. Wrap it all up nicely and boil it off in a casserole hotpot. Then, take a creamy tomato sauce and drizzle it over the top of the lot. You’ve got yourself a Golabki. A favourite of the Christmas period, and regularly served during family get-togethers, this dish is another classic Polish heart-warmer. The name’s a little confusing though – ‘Golabki‘ literally translates to pigeon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.