If her performance at Coachella this summer was any indication, Aurora is fast becoming an international phenomenon. As her latest single ‘Forgotten Love’ was released with Decca Records, we spoke to the Bergen-based singer about capturing the most elusive emotions, growing up inside a Norwegian forest and what it takes to make the perfect music video.
She has been compared to Björk and Florence Welch. One look at Aurora performing, and it’s not difficult to see why. The 24-year-old singer’s stage presence is both eccentric and soft, compelling and fragile. Not one to shy away from kookiness, Aurora can look at home both at a medieval castle singing a rendition of ‘Scarborough Fair’ and belting out pop anthems amid modern dancers in ‘Queendom’. With her latest single, ‘Forgotten Love’ (you can listen to it here), Aurora talks about making room in your heart for new memories and not feeling heavy or sorrowful about it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
I only write about the things that grind in my mind; the things I wonder about, or can’t figure out. Emotions I can’t explain, or the kinds of sorrow I can’t escape. Music is a tool in my heart to use against all of that. I think [about] my music, and [my] mind is very drawn to the dark side of things, because that makes me wonder the most.
They have grown with me (hopefully) as I have grown. It’s such a wonderful thing, putting emotions into words. How it’s a constant evolving thing. The meaning of my songs changes all the time. I’ve never been very personal in my music, but then again, I take everything personally. Matters around the world, the battles [with]in humans and dark stories I feel people ought to know about. One day I might write a very personal album. But I feel like I have to go through all the other stories first.
Thank you! I’m very involved in everything that has my name on it. Mostly because I have so many ideas and I always know what I want, or how my children should sound or look. It’s all a part of how I hope I am channeling people’s experiences in my music, in the right spiritual directions. I look for good people who understand where I want to go, and together we make it happen.
It was very different from any other festival I’ve performed at. I know in [regards to] certain songs of mine, not all people understand my music and I also definitely know that not all people understand me, and that is OK. At Coachella I was surrounded by a different world, almost like a different planet. It was exciting, and it was wonderful to see how the people who came to hear us play belonged with us, and how we all met together surrounded by the same strange world.
A lot. I’m so inspired by Mother Earth. I love her to death and I don’t know what I would do with myself if I didn’t grow up inside a forest. My home looks like a Norwegian folktale, and I’ve always had a strong connection to that part of my culture.
I do. I want people to care because I know that we do, as long as we have the capacity in us to care. Sadness, for example, takes a lot of space. So I care a lot about humans, and that we get the help and time we need to get better. If we help ourselves we can then help the world. It just needs to be done in the right way. We get told too much that we’re not doing enough. So I need to make sure it’s planted at the right time, in the right way. Show people how beautiful the world is, and we will fight for it. Show people how similar we are, and we would want to fight for each other.
It’s very much so. It’s about the world and everything that is alive in it. My wish would be for it to be a very empowering step. As my first album was a lot about dealing with your demons and accepting things as they are, this is about making choices for yourself. To tilt the mirror outwards and look around you, see that we are not alone, but part of a big family. I want people to realize their power. And use it. It’s all about the attitude against life, and obstacles. I take on a few sad stories in it also (as I always do) and ask questions. Why are we the way we are? And can we change it?
Enya, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan were the people I listened to when I was a child. I’m inspired by atmospheres and words.
I don’t find it challenging to do covers. It’s only a thing that makes you feel delighted. It’s like time-traveling and a way of keeping music from the past alive.
It takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. So I would tell people out there to make sure that they can stand for whatever is being put out in their name and there are so many ways to be a part of the industry. If not a producer, then a writer. An artist. Or a singer. A manager, and band member. A painter, a designer. And if you want, you can do almost all of them. I did.
AURORA will be performing in the UK in the fall. To find out more about her upcoming concerts, visit her official website.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.