Food in Scandinavia is having a moment, and new and exciting restaurants that feature modern takes on classic Nordic dishes are popping up all over Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Local food bloggers are also taking it upon themselves to create gorgeous original recipes, publish cookbooks and report from the finest restaurants. Read on for some serious #foodinspo.
Anders Husa is like the best friend you wish you had when you need food or restaurant advice. A foodie and marketer based in Oslo who eats in some of the best restaurants in Scandinavia, Husa not only shares recommendations with his readers (accompanied by his original gorgeous photos), but he also organises the information in practical guides and maps, so readers can access it easily. Thanks, Anders!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Green Kitchen Stories
This one is a family affair. David is a magazine art director from Sweden, Luise is from Denmark and studying to be a nutritional therapist, and Elsa is their adorable daughter. From their Stockholm-based kitchen, the family cooks and eats healthy and simple vegetarian food with natural ingredients, whole grains, good fats, fruits and vegetables. They’ve published several cookbooks in many languages that combine their favourite recipes, and they also document their travels.
Nordic Food & Living
Blogger Kim is from Denmark, and he enjoys cooking mostly traditional Danish recipes and giving new life to old staples. In his blog, you’ll find a little of everything, including klejner, Danish fried twists; Danish apple pork; Italian lasagne and many interesting bread recipes.
Gran-Jansen was the winner of Hele Norge Baker, a Norwegian baking competition show. She has a serious sweet tooth, which is apparent from the moment you start browsing her blog, which has recipe upon recipe of baked goods, delicious drinks and all kinds of cakes that will leave you salivating.
Based in Gothenburg, Sweden, Sonja Dahlgren is a food stylist, food photographer and recipe developer who focuses on healthy, vibrant and hormone-balancing foods, as well as fitness and beauty tips. She offers solid proof that healthy food can also be delicious. Paleo tortillas with homemade Nutella, anyone?
My Nordic Kitchen
Therese Elstad is based in Oslo and uses her blog as a way to express her love for the Nordic region and its food culture. Learn about the New Nordic Food Manifesto (developed by chefs in Denmark in 2004) on her blog and whet your appetite with recipes, such as saffron buns, seasonal salads and open sandwiches.
Call Me Cupcake
Linda of Call Me Cupcake started blogging in 2009 with no intention of becoming a food blogger. In fact, she says she rarely even baked at the time. However, cupcakes were huge in Sweden then, and Linda was happy to join in on the trend. Through the years, her recipes have evolved dramatically, and there’s an understated, dark and haunting quality to her photos that contradicts the bright desserts and helps set this blog apart from others.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.