Montenegro is a hiker’s paradise. The variety of landscapes and sparse population make it a stunning place to don some walking shoes and reap the benefits of getting out in nature. There are trails for all levels of fitness and we guarantee you’ll be glad you stepped off the beaten path and onto some of Montenegro’s most beautiful nature walks.
Forty km north of Montenegro’s capital, Podgorica, Mrtvica Canyon is one wowzer of a hidden gem. Few tourists make it to this stunningly beautiful trail, but it’s one of the best in the country. The trail winds through lush forest and past waterfalls along the Mrtvica River. When the hiking gets hot there’s a swimming hole under an old stone bridge, where trout duck and hide between rocks. The Gate of Wishes is a fairy-like rock arch that cements the other worldliness of the canyon as it leads down to the whirlpools of the river. The trail then leads through a spectacular rock tunnel that’s like a tiny crack in the 700m of sheer cliff face.
The trail around the lake leads across burbling streams and signs describe the birds that can be heard singing in the treetops. Strategically placed benches provide plenty of places to sit and soak in the beauty. Without a doubt, the Black Lake has earned its reputation as one of the best nature walks in Montenegro.
Way off the beaten track, Mount Bjelasica is a haven for hikers who love nature and solitude. The gently curving hills make for relatively easy hiking and the fields of wildflowers are beautiful places to camp or lay a picnic blanket. The greenery is speckled with a few shepherds’ huts and the odd patch of snow, even in summer.
There are 17 peaks to hike here, but the three most popular are Crna Glava, Zekova Glava and Troglava, whose trails pass Pesica Lake. Bjelasica is a mountain retreat with very basic amenities, but million dollar views.
Biograd Lake lies in the heart of Biogradska Gora National Park, one of only three remaining large virgin forests in Europe. Many of the trees here are 500 years old and although the park is the smallest of Montenegro’s five national parks, it’s incredibly diverse. Deer, wolves, bears, chamois, eagles and hawks all roam here. There are seven lakes and many hiking paths in the park, but the Biograd Lake trail is the most stunning. The 3km path around the lake meanders through the forest and is punctuated by look outs with picnic tables under the canopy.
Lake Biograd, Biogradska Gora National Park, Montenegro, +382 20 601 015
The Bay of Kotor is riddled with the ruins of Austro-Hungarian buildings perched atop the craggy mountains. But the most beautiful walk is the trail to Sveti Andrija Fortress above Perast.
The 4km trail to the fortress was originally made for horses and offers glorious views of the Bay of Kotor. It winds through a beech forest, where the path is carpeted by leaves and the only sounds are birds chirping and insects buzzing. At the top it opens up to an incredible vista where the fortress overlooks the bay. The view from the Sveti Andrija encompasses the Bay of Kotor, Mount Vrmac and the Verige Strait. The fortress ruins are also fascinating and have the original stone inscriptions in German.
The Via Dinarica is more than a mere nature walk, it’s a 1,900km mega trail that crosses 7 countries and has put the Balkans firmly on the map as one of the world’s top hiking destinations.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The trail covers Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia. In Montenegro the trail passes through Prokletije, Biogradska Gora and Durmitor national parks. Those who hike the trail are treated to challenging peaks, rolling hills, lakes, rivers, glacier lakes and alpine pastures. They’re also likely to encounter horses, goats and even bears. These wild highlands are dotted with shepherds’ huts and the locals, unused to seeing strangers here, can look even more dangerous than the bears. But once the ice is broken it’s hard to find more hospitable people. They’re only too happy to offer hot coffee, hot rakija (the Balkans’ beloved brandy) and to share their rustic meals of home grown and organic produce.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.