It may be small in size, but Montenegro packs a punch. Rugged mountains, sublime beaches descending into the Adriatic Sea, serene lakes and welcoming locals are all qualities that make it a must-visit Mediterranean destination. Here’s our pick of the best places to stay, including seaside resorts, city pads and family-friendly hotels.
Ideal for families, this five-star hotel lies in a sheltered bay, just 2km (1mi) from Budva, with access to a long sandy beach. Children will love playing in the three indoor and three outdoor pools with cascades, while parents can keep an eye on their young ones from the hot tub. There’s also a kids’ club, and babysitting is available. Rooms are spacious and plush, with large baths and calming yellow decor. Above the spa, 13 wellness suites have circular double beds and sunken jacuzzis.
Exuding elegance and glamour, this waterside hotel overlooking the marina at Porto Montenegro has a Venetian feel. Its two buildings are separated by an open-air pool club, complete with infinity pools, children’s pools and relaxed Mediterranean dining. The hotel also houses a gym and a spa with an indoor pool, a sauna and a steam room. Rooms in both wings are spacious, with balconies overlooking the mountains and marina.
Sitting on the seafront promenade in Perast, overlooking the Bay of Kotor, this 34-room hotel is a peaceful escape for couples and families. Comprising four 18th-century stone buildings, the Conte has kept many of the original architectural features while adding modern touches – think a spacious pool, private gardens and outdoor jacuzzis. The result is a romantic and welcoming retreat with friendly staff. Best of all, you can start your day by eating breakfast al fresco on the waterside terrace.
About 10km (6mi) south of medieval-walled Budva, two properties with contrasting aesthetics combine to make this graceful hotel. The first is a 15th-century island fortress with 51 rooms, suites and cottages in renovated stone buildings; the second is a 19th-century villa on the mainland, with pretty gardens and eight suites. There are three beaches and pools, along with a spa offering personalised treatments. Dining options range from Adriatic seafood at Avra to Mediterranean fare at the Queen’s Beach Grill, open to hotel guests only.
Housed inside a restored 15th-century palazzo in Kotor, this boutique guesthouse offers spacious rooms with age-old character, shared cooking facilities and a team of welcoming staff. The stone walls nod to the building’s heritage, while regal touches include antique furnishings, red and gold colour schemes and portraits of local aristocrats. While breakfast isn’t available, coffee and tea are, and you will also have access to the communal kitchen. If you don’t feel like cooking, there are plenty of great cafés and restaurants nearby.
With a bright, contemporary feel, a lovely terrace restaurant and a wellness centre with a gym and pool, this four-star hotel is a great choice in Budva. On the seafront promenade, it’s just a 10-minute walk from the fortified Old Town. The elegant rooms and suites provide the perfect respite after a long day of urban exploration and feature marble bathrooms and large walk-in showers. Grab a sundowner at the pool bar, or head straight to the main restaurant for local, modern cuisine.
On the island of Sveti Stefan, this sophisticated hotel offers access to pristine beaches and luxurious accommodation. Each room and suite has a distinct style, from the exposed brickwork and dark leather sofas in the duplex loft to the gold and cream walls and baroque-style furniture in the luxe apartments. The spa features an indoor pool, a sauna and a gym, along with treatments such as Shiatsu and Swedish massages.
Venetian style and a superb seaside location are on offer at this elegant hotel in the old town of Perast. The infinity pool overlooks the ocean and verdant hills; soak it all up from a lounger or beach hammock. There’s also a spa with an impressive indoor pool and a gym. Rooms are classically styled and decorated in tranquil shades of cream. Deluxe duplex doubles can sleep four people in two interconnected apartments with a shared terrace, making them ideal for groups.
This four-star hotel offers 27 bright rooms with ensuites, flexible breakfast options and parking facilities. On the outskirts of Podgorica, you’ll be within walking distance of most of the city’s attractions, cosy bars and restaurants. Rooms – either double or single – feature pale wood furnishings and a neutral colour palette. Eat your breakfast between 7am and 10am while watching life unfold on the boulevard in front.
For more options, discover these top boutique hotels in Montenegro and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.