Monaco squeezes a lot of wealth into a destination small enough to boast being the world’s second smallest country. A little daunting, then, for the average traveler. Don’t fear, simply follow this guide and you’ll be able to have most “budgeted” stay possible in Monaco.
Where to Stay
Accommodation is the real budget-killer in Monaco, with the cheapest rooms costing well over €100. Head just across the western border of Monaco to Cap-d’Ail and you’ll find Villa Thalassa, an attractive hostel that accommodates up to 90 people. Make sure to book in advance, as affordable accommodation is in demand on this stretch of the Riviera. The real beauty with staying here is, if you are reasonably fit and not carrying luggage, you can walk into Monaco on the coastal path in about an hour. There is also the train station and bus route, both connecting Monaco to Cap-d’Ail and Villa Thalassa.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address and Phone Number:
Villa Thalassa, 2 Avenue Gramaglia, Cap-d’Ail, France, +04 93 81 27 63
Another accommodation tip would be to stay just north of Monaco—and by just we really mean just—in the French town of Beausoleil. It adjoins Monaco from the hillside above and hotel prices are a lot less daunting, not to mention prices within local facilities such as shops. This is where a lot of the people who work in Monaco live, commuting down towards the coast each day. If your legs can handle it, it’s a good option for the purse strings.
What to Do
Happily there are handfuls of free things to do in Monaco. The weather should be on your side for most of the year, so wandering around the (free) sights feels like a luxury in itself. First of all, take in Monaco’s grand buildings and imposing architecture. Make sure to head to the old town—Le Rocher as it is known—where you’ll find the Prince’s Palace, Saint Nicholas Cathedral, and the Oceanographic Museum. Every day at 11:55 a.m., in the grand square in front of the Palace, the traditional ritual of the Changing of the Guard takes place.
Monaco also boats numerous gardens, most of which are free to enter. Have a moment of calm in the Japanese garden or enjoy the spectacular views out onto the Mediterranean from the Saint-Martin Gardens. If you’re feeling in need of a cool-down, then head to the Larvotto ward, lying southeast of Monte-Carlo, for a dip in the Med. Larvotto beach is composed of a public selection so you can frolic for free to your heart’s content. Stroll along the promenade with an ice cream in hand; a cheap and incredibly cheerful activity in Monaco.
What and Where to Eat
In the morning, head straight to The Condamine Market for market produce to snack on—definitely try barbagiuan, Monaco’s national dish that is a kind of stuffed fritter—as well as cute eateries around the edge for a drink or more. The prices here are a lot more digestible. As well as the food, this area of Monaco is great for a feel of the local flare.
In the same ward as Larvotto Beach is Le Loga restaurant. This is a favorite among locals, which is always a good sign. A lot more affordable than the other Monaco restaurants, head here if you’d like a bite out.
Address and Phone Number:
Le Loga, 25 Boulevard des Moulins, Monaco, France, +37 793 308 772
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.