Monaco can be overwhelmingly over the top, intense and oh-so-bright on first sight, so follow Culture Trip’s 20 unmissable attractions to navigate yourself around the alluring principality with ease.
One of the most beautiful buildings and landmarks of the principality, the Oceanographic Museum is a must-see. Perched on the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean, it houses various exhibitions throughout the year as well as an impressive aquarium.
This gorgeous garden was cultivated in 1984 by Prince Rainier III of Monaco, two years after the death of his wife, Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco. Her favourite flower was the rose so the garden is very much in her honour.
The Princess Grace Rose Garden, Fontvieille, Monaco, France +37 792 166 116
Rock of Monaco
Le Rocher is the old town of Monaco, which perches on a rocky headland and is home to the principality’s royal family. Head to the old town to find winding streets and characterful buildings.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Sculpture Path
Dotted about the principality are almost 100 sculptures. The Fontvieille district houses The Sculpture Path, a pedestrianised street solely for these impressive pieces of art.
Run by the municipality, the Rainer III Outdoor Pool is open from May through to October and in the wintertime it is turned into an ice-skating rink.
The perfect place to wine and dine or simply people watch in Monaco, Café de Paris is the café to be seen in in Monaco.
Café de Paris, Place du Casino, Monte Carlo, Monaco, France +37 798 067 623
This stadium located in the Fontvieille district of Monaco is home to the Monaco national football team. The land it’s built on was actually reclaimed from the sea.
Louis II Stadium, 7 Avenue des Castelans, Monaco France +37 792 054 021
The Exotic Garden, opened in 1933, is filled to the brim with exotic plants, such as cacti and succulents. As well as the garden itself, hit the steps (almost down to sea level) into the observatory cave as part of your visit.
Exotic Garden, 62 Boulevard du Jardin Exotique, Monaco, France +37 793 152 980
Prince Rainer III established these Zoological Gardens, built into the Monaco rocks in 1954. Keep a look out for the infamous hippo – the star of the show.
Zoological Gardens, Place du Canton, Monaco, France +37 793 504 030
This open air theatre used to be – and the clue is in the name – a fortress, with an incredible position overlooking the Mediterranean.
Fontvieille is the newest of the four traditional wards in Monaco. It was created using reclaimed land and is a calmer section of Monaco to escape to with an attractive waterfront.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.