As you drive through the beautiful Maltese countryside, you’ll see a walled city perched on top of a hill, standing tall above the land below. Often seen glowing in the bright sunlight, this beautiful city is known as Mdina.
Mdina was once the original capital city of Malta and is much older than Valletta, dating back approximately 4000 years. First built by the Phoenicians, Mdina used to be part of the same settlement as the adjacent city of Ir-Rabat, until it was conquered by the Arabs who built defensive walls, turning it into a fortress city. Later, the Knights of Malta governed the city and built a grandiose Baroque gate in 1724, through which visitors now enter to find themselves inside Mdina’s medieval walls – transported back in time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mdina is known as the Silent City, due to the fact that no cars, except those that belong to a limited number of residents, have permission to enter the city. This provides a relaxing atmosphere for the visitors walking its narrow streets and alleyways. There are signs everywhere reminding people to keep quiet and respect the residences, although occasionally, you will hear the trotting hooves of a horse-drawn karozzin – a traditional horse drawn carriage dating back to the 19th century.
Walking through Mdina’s streets is similar to losing yourself in an immaculately clean sandstone maze. Doors are painted in an array of bright colours and have unique, shiny, brass door knockers in an multitude of shapes, such as lions or dolphins. Tiny restaurants and cafés are tucked away in hidden locations, balconies jut from the sides of buildings and are lined with blooming flowers and strands of ivy. As lunch hour approaches, the smell of freshly cooked food makes its way through the streets. Mdina will most definitely steal your heart.
If you start to get hungry while roaming around, make sure to stop by Fontanella Tea Garden for dessert. Fontanella is famous for decadent cakes and amazing coffee. The top terrace also boasts incredible countryside views over the bastions – you’ll be able to see the Mediterranean Sea in the distance, as well as the Mosta Dome church.
Make sure to head over to St Paul’s Square, where you’ll find the impressively large Baroque St Paul’s Cathedral, designed by world famous architect, Lorenzo Gafa. A tale surrounds it similar to other Maltese cathedrals – the clock on the left shows the incorrect time to confuse the devil. You’ll find however, the clock on the right is correct and chimes every 15 minutes.
The best way to explore Mdina is to put away the map and get lost within the charming little alleyways. If you have the opportunity to visit Mdina during nightfall, you’ll be rewarded with a stunning ambient glow given off by the gas-lit lamps lining the streets.
Whether you visit during the day, or night, Mdina is definitely a place that will ignite your inner romantic and steal your heart with its colourful doorways and picturesque streets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.