Malta’s year-round sunshine and coastal curves make it the perfect destination for a seaside retreat. Capital city Valletta’s 2018 turn as European Capital of Culture put the island on the map for younger, discerning culture vultures who enjoy its growing boutique hotel scene. For a true wellness escape, book a stay at one of these top spa hotels in Malta.
This vast ornate hotel, on the doorstep of Unesco World Heritage site and capital city Valletta, overlooks the waters of Marsamxett harbour and the stunning fortifications on Manuel Island. Perfectly located for exploring Valletta’s finest sights, you’ll be glad to kick off your shoes here after a day’s sightseeing, whether relaxing by the fabulous pool or taking a treatment in the delightfully decadent spa.
On the beautiful Quisisana coast of Sliema, this chic, modern hotel has its own beach club for those who prefer a dip in the sea, and divine infinity pools for less intrepid bathers. The in-house spa, 1926 Day Spa, is presented by Swiss company Resense, who create exclusive wellness programs for guests in need of rejuvenation. There’s also a hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room.
Regal in name and nature, the Victoria presents opulently designed interiors in the heart of Sliema, taking its inspiration from the town’s 19th-century heyday. The in-house Marion Mizzi spa offers a wide range of treatments, from your favourite massages to alternative therapies such as cupping and reflexology, as well as a suite of sauna and steam rooms for you to indulge in between dips in the indoor and outdoor pools.
Located in downtown Mellieha, a short drive from Malta’s best beaches, this central property offers rooms, suites and apartments with sleek contemporary design and views across the bay. Prioritising self-care and wellness, the Solana hosts a sizeable spa, Nataraya, whose massage and hydrotherapy treatments are guaranteed to iron out the creases in the most exhausted of guests.
Part of one of the most prestigious hotel chains in Malta, the Corinthia promises a heavenly stay in the lap of luxury. This outpost in serene St George’s Bay is close to the hub of Malta’s nightlife in Paceville. With so many bars, restaurants and leisure facilities (including a PADI dive school) on-site, you won’t want to leave. Just kick back in the Apollo Spa and indulge in an Elemis facial or a freestyle Thai massage. They even have their own spa menu with healthy bites, in case you fancy making a day of it.
Perched on the cliff top overlooking the small but perfectly formed beach at Golden Sands, the Radisson Blu is a classy affair. It’s home to three restaurants, two bars and outdoor and indoor swimming pools. However, it’s the Myoka Sands Spa that really shines, complete with hammam rooms, an Ayurvedic centre for traditional Indian massage and health treatments, plus an outdoor jacuzzi.
Leading Malta’s recent boom in boutique hotels, Holm is the cream of the crop, boasting colourful, hip design in seaside town St Julien’s. With a surprisingly extensive spa for a hotel so compact, Holm houses a sauna, steam room, hot pool, ice room, Himalayan salt suite, shower path and rooftop infinity pool. Their spa therapists offer an equally wide-ranging array of treatments guaranteed to soothe away your worldly concerns.
Planning a special getaway? Discover the best honeymoon hotels in Malta, then book your stay on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.