With more than 100 dive sites and a coastline dotted with towering cliffs and secluded bays, the sunny Mediterranean Maltese islands stand ready and waiting to offer you an active adventure.
With more than 250km (155mi) of dramatic coastline and some of the clearest waters in the Mediterranean, Malta has plenty of natural assets for the adventurous to explore. Regarded by many as the best scuba-diving destination in Europe, it has more than 100 easily accessible dive sites, as well as more than 1,500 rock-climbing routes, innumerable caves and plenty of highways and byways to explore on foot, horseback or quad bike.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whether you’re diving deep or climbing high, Malta’s dramatic rocky landscape, above and below the waterline, offers a huge variety of views and challenges. Nothing is more than an hour or so away (often much less) – and all directions, instructions and safety briefings are in English.
Diving in Malta’s waters
Pre-pandemic, some 50,000 people a year came to dive in the waters surrounding Malta’s three inhabited islands (Malta, Gozo and tiny Comino) – and with good reason. From Gozo’s luminous Blue Hole, dropping deep down beside the towering rock column, which, until 2017, supported the arch of the Azure Window, to Comino’s extensive shallow-water Santa Maria cave complex, there is something for every skill level. The Qawra Reef dive site, off the main island, has it all for the more experienced: plentiful marine life, a natural arch, a scuttled ferry boat you can swim right into, and even a 3m (10ft) undersea statue of Jesus Christ.
Licensed dive centres across the country offer Padi- and BSAC-approved courses, as well as guided dives and equipment hire.
Kayaking around the coast of Gozo
If you’re not into diving, there is still plenty to enjoy in – and on – Malta’s wonderfully warm, clear waters, whether that’s snorkelling, windsurfing, sailing or sea kayaking. Gozo Adventures will take you on a full- or half-day kayaking tour around the scenic coast of Gozo. The exact route will depend on the wind and weather conditions on the day, but all courses are varied and fun. If you’re lucky, you may end up exploring the caves of Comino, and perhaps tipping out of your kayak (deliberately) for a dip in Malta’s favourite swimming spot, the Blue Lagoon.
Rock climbing Malta’s rugged cliffs
Back on land, the craggy cliffs are as dramatic as any underwater drop-off – though they do require some effort to climb. Malta has more than 1,500 rock-climbing routes in some 30 different locations, many with stunning views. Malta Rock Climbing Club has lots more information available.
Abseiling down the Xaqqa Cliffs
If you fancy something a bit faster, MC Adventure offers abseiling down the steep slopes of the Xaqqa Cliffs. If you have a need for speed, keep an eye on the Facebook page for zipline events (they take place once or twice a month) where the team set up a 150m (492ft) wire at beautiful Migra l-Fehra, just west of Rabat and Mdina. Launch yourself off the cliff and hurtle towards the sea – effortless, but not for the faint-hearted!
Self-guided walks through the countryside
A less exhilarating way to explore the area – which offers you a lot more time to take it all in – is by hiking the self-guided Bahrija country walk. Starting and ending in Rabat, the trail takes you past traditional farmland – some on precipitous terraces – as well as dry-stone walls, ruins of a Bronze Age village, churches and chapels, caper bushes and fennel plants, with clifftop panoramas along the route.
Quad biking on the island of Gozo
Shanks’ pony not your style? There are other forms of individual transport that will take you off the beaten track: travelling to the rhythmic clip-clop of horses’ hooves, perhaps? Or the adrenaline-inducing vroom of a quad bike?
Gozo Quad Hire is a great place to rent a bike, or sign up for a guided tour of the island. Gozo is just 14km (9mi) by 7km (4.5m) but has an astonishing variety of landscapes for its size. You will find everything from vertical cliffs rising 145m (476ft) from the sea, narrow smugglers’ inlets and red sandy bays to chequerboards of ancient still-in-use salt pans. On a quad bike, you can see it all in a single day.
Horse-riding through Majjistral Nature Reserve
Golden Bay Horse Riding takes groups out daily in the beautiful, protected countryside of the Majjistral Nature Reserve. Join one of the regular one-hour morning or afternoon rides, or round off an active day with a sunset outing looking across the sea to Gozo as the cliffs glow golden over the sparkling Mediterranean.
There’s More to Explore in Malta. Start planning your next trip now at visitmalta.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.