The capital city of Valletta is a cultural haven, especially for art lovers. It’s surrounded by Baroque buildings, many with exuberant interiors, ornate features and detailed artwork. From masterpieces to contemporary, from real life to the surreal, art aficionados will be in their element in this capital city. Take an art-infused, whistle-stop tour of Valletta and enjoy just a few things the city has to offer.
The Palace State Rooms
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The palace state rooms make up a major part of the Grandmaster’s Palace, one of the first buildings of the new Valletta, following the Great Siege of Malta of 1565. Extended and enhanced even more so in later years, the palace has remained as such since the mid-18th century. The palace state rooms hold the only full set, in the world, of ‘Les Teintures des Indes’ tapestries of the 18th century French Gobelins, painted scenes of the 16th century Great Siege depicted by Matteo Perez d’Aleccio, a portrait gallery of the island’s rulers and Baroque painted ceilings.
Insider Tip: Give the state rooms a call before visiting, they can sometimes close at short notice to cater for the requirements of the president’s office.
Grand Master’s Palace, Palace Square, Valletta, Malta +356 2124 9349
St John’s Co-Cathedral Museum
Built by the Knights of St John between 1573 and 1578, the stunning artwork across the interiors comes in the form of exquisite gilded rooms, ornate marble floors, painted arched ceilings by Mattia Preti and Flemish tapestries. The oratory holds two original masterpieces by Carravaggio, ‘The Beheading of Saint John the Baptist’ and ‘St Jerome’.
Insider Tip: If possible visit the museum on a weekday, queues are smaller and it’s open for longer hours. On a Saturday arrive early, the museum closes at 12.30pm with last admission being at midday, however it is best to leave at least one full hour to see everything.
St John’s Co-Cathedral, St John’s Square, Valletta, Malta +356 2122 0536
Located on South Street, a stone’s throw from the Museum of Fine Arts is Prego, a delectable little café with five-star Tripadvisor reviews that has been labelled one of the best coffee shops in Valletta. Opened in 1947, the café was refurbished in the 1960s and has remained the same ever since. Today, this quaint spot is run by the sons of the original owner.
58 South St, Valletta, Malta +356 2122 4062
Take a seat inside Caffé Cordina in the centre of Republic Street and enjoy something to eat and drink in a building dedicated to the Treasury of the Order during the rule of the Knights of St John. Later, it was the Grand Hotel, the Casino Maltese and finally, after suffering damage during World War Two, restored to become the café as it remains today. Ceilings decorated with paintings showing the rulers of Malta by Maltese artist Guiseppe Cali can be seen in the tea rooms, pasticceria, gelateria and bar. Outside seating gives an excellent opportunity to enjoy with the hustle and bustle of Valletta’s daily life.
Caffe Cordina, 244 Republic Street Valletta, Malta +356 2065 0400
The Victor Pasmore Gallery
British-born artist Victor Pasmore fell in love with Malta while visiting in the 1960s looking for a holiday home. Impressed by Malta’s architecture and scenery, the island became his permanent home in 1965 until his passing in 1998. Making many close friends in the Maltese art world, Pasmore’s abstract and still-life work quickly became well-known island-wide. Located on the outer walls of Valletta, in an old gunpowder magazine is the gallery displaying abstract work in different mediums, including his sketches, composite works, prints, paintings and spray paintings created in Malta and the UK.
Supported by the Arts Council, Blitz was founded in 2103 by Alexandra Pace. The gallery is based in the former home of Pace’s grandparents. Restored and transformed into four floors of art space, inside you will find project areas, residency space, an exhibition gallery and Pace’s own studio. Residency is allocated to a range of media including photography, film, sound, performance and digital platforms making it a hub of activity and learning.
Insider Tip:Scheduled viewings can be made by email. The gallery is open to the public on a project by project basis, so check the website for details before visiting.
Blitz, 68 St Lucia Street, Valletta, Malta +356 2122 4992
Finish an art filled trip with art on your plate and treat yourself to the wonderful cuisine at L’Artiglio. This restaurant, located just off Republic Street, offers an a la carte menu of Mediterranean food. Each dish is ensured to taste just as wonderful as it looks. See your meal being prepared and come together with views of the open-plan kitchen. Take a seat inside either inside or in the courtyard and be prepared to be served in style. Finish your evening at the bar or the cocktail area.
Insider Tip:Using only the freshest and seasonal foods means there is no fixed menu as dishes are regularly changing. Selected by the chef, daily specials are indeed daily specials.
L’Artiglio, 64 Melita Street, Valletta, Malta +356 2247 6601
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.