Malta is a mere 316 kilometres square with a population of, according to records, just over 432,000 as of 2018. Yet this small, often dismissed destination has the second-highest percentage of social media users in the whole of Europe. Just 10 per cent of the population are not connected to social media in some shape or form. With Facebook and Instagram leading the way, social media is a part of every day life. Here are just some of the best Instagram accounts you need to follow before you visit Malta.
If you want to see places off the beaten track, have unique experiences in Malta and witness the many events that take place island wide,@exploringmalta is one for you to follow. Flora the Explorer’s shared photographs are of her travels around the island, the different people she meets and the scenes along the way. Find videos of interviews and meeting locals. The page runs in parallel with her website and Facebook page of the same name, linking up to blogs and in-depth articles in addition to videos. Flora’s face is a familiar one around Malta and her positive and bubbly personality complements the Maltese sunshine and does nothing but make you smile.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Malta Food Malta
Described as food porn, Malta Food Malta is full of different dishes tried at restaurants around the island. From snails to pizza, every picture will make a foodie’s mouth water. Not just traditional Maltese dishes, photos include meals from European and Asian restaurants and seafood straight from the Mediterranean. Starters, mains and desserts are all included, so if you’re passionate about food, make Malta Food Malta one to follow.
Ed, Founder of Malta Uncovered, is Dutch and has Maltese roots. Initially starting visiting the island as a tourist, he decided to move to the island over a decade ago. His photographs cover the best of Maltese daily life, history, heritage and culture. Working in conjunction with his website, Malta Uncovered is great for finding out more about the island through personal experiences and recommendations. Venturing far beyond beaches and sunshine, this is a great account to follow for the Malta curious.
Gozo Photography is just that: wonderful pictures and videos entirely dedicated to Malta’s sister island of Gozo, and all captured by a professional photographer. With a following of more than 10,000, followers get an insight into every aspect of this tiny, yet visually-stunning island. Day and night scenes included, the photographer captures clear waters surrounding the island, beautiful churches and tucked-away street scenes to name a few.
The People of Malta
An account with a difference, The People of Malta illustrates Maltese life through its inhabitants rather than scenery, capturing those going about their every day business in a wonderful showcase of young and old, in their work and recreation time. Every picture tells a story, cleverly encapsulating emotions and an array of personalities if the form of an artistic project, the success of which has also been reproduced as a book.
This is no clever play on words, this account is actually dedicated to doors around Malta. With an island full of historical and authentic buildings combined with the contemporary, doors are a real eye-catcher. Take a look at this and you’ll instantly find yourself scrolling through pictures and more pictures of Maltese doors from the majestic to the rustic, and all are strangely attractive. More than 13,000 followers can’t be wrong.
Cats of Malta
There’s no doubt about it, the Maltese are cat lovers. The island is inundated with stray cats as well as many families owning more than one as pets. Parts of the island have dedicated cat feeders who specifically go out of their way to see to the stray cats as best they can and ensure they don’t go hungry. Many streets have points where food, water and the occasional pet bed is left out for passing cats, in addition to numerous charities trying to save them. Follow Cats of Malta to see domestic and stray cats in various situations across the island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.