From cute and furry to just plain peculiar looking, there are some animals to keep an eye out for in Malta as you may not get the chance to see them again after leaving the island. Admittedly, this small island doesn’t have many native animals, but nevertheless they have their unique characteristics. Some easy to spot and others a little more difficult, but not impossible, here are some you might want to checkout.
Originating in the Middle East, the Maltese goat was introduced to the island thousands of years ago for the main reason of being able to supply high quantities of pleasant-tasting milk. These animals are different in that they are usually black and white in colour with long hair and large drooping ears which turn out at the ends. Sadly over the years, and particularly during World War II, there was a huge decrease in the breed. Now, the purebred are almost extinct, with only approximately 350 remaining on the island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Maltese Honey Bee
A sub-species of the Western honey bee, the Maltese honey bee (Apis mellifera ruttneri), has over the years adapted to both Malta’s climate and environment. Pure colonies of the authentic bee still exist on the island and of the 2,000 beehives spread across Malta and Gozo, 83% have the DNA of ruttneri. Highly protected by local beekeepers, they are the most endangered honeybee species and one of only 10 species across the whole of Europe.
Maltese Ruby Tiger Moth
This moth, of the Arctiidae family, is common across Europe but is indigenous to Malta, easily identifiable with its furry brown head and body and red underside with black spots. Wings are reddish-brown, also bearing black spots, and has a hind wing of bright pink. Attracted predominantly to flowering herbs, this beautiful creature, with just a 3.5-centimetre wingspan, is referred to as looking like a miniature flying bear.
Endemic to both Sicily and Malta, this adorable mammal, (Crocidura sicula), is found on the island of Gozo. Widespread across Sicily, this particular shrew is said to be on a drastic decrease in Gozo, not officially confirmed, but it may even be extinct, making it all the more special to spot one! With the shrew’s habitat being shrubland, it can be spotted anywhere from sea-level to 1,000 metres.
The national dog of Malta, this distinct-looking animal has changed very little in its 5,000-year history. This ancient dog was originally a dog of kings – pharaohs used them as hunting dogs – and is often depicted in Egyptian art. The hound was introduced to Malta by being imported from Egypt by the Phoenicians and thrived tremendously. Known in Malta as Kelb tal-Fenek (Dog of the Rabbit), it i said that not only do these beautiful dogs blush when they are happy (their noses and lips take on a more red/purple colour), but they can also be trained to smile!
Maltese Wall Lizard
These tiny lizards can be easily spotted around Malta, scurrying in and out of rocks, darting across pavements at your feet and climbing walls at a rate of knots. Widespread not only across Malta but also the Pelagian islands, they cannot be found anywhere else in the world. In abundance in the spring and summer months, these little ones love to soak up the sun and feed on insects, fruits and vegetables. Ranging in different colours from bright green to brown and orange, they are completely harmless and a joy to watch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.