Lithuania’s second largest city, Kaunas, has many things to be proud of, including rich history and delicious food, but there is one thing that stands out, and that is basketball. Kaunas Žalgiris, the local basketball team, is the reason why locals love basketball so much and think of it as something more serious than just a game.
The oldest and most decorated club in Lithuania
Kaunas Žalgiris was founded in 1944 and is the oldest active basketball club in Lithuania, and one of the oldest in Europe. Throughout the years, Žalgiris has won 42 championships, including the legendary victory in 1998-1999 EuroLeague versus mighty Kinder Bologna. There are only a handful of clubs that managed to win the EuroLeague, making Žalgiris one of the most recognised and respected clubs in Europe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When Lithuania was still part of the Soviet Union, Žalgiris competed in the domestic Soviet Union league, where Moscow CSKA was its biggest rival. Thousands of devoted fans gathered to watch Žalgiris battle against Moscow CSKA, as it meant more to the people than just a basketball game. Every Lithuanian knew that Žalgiris was indirectly fighting for independence, and beating Moscow CSKA was a victory for Lithuanian fans and the whole independence movement.
After Lithuania regained independence in 1990, Žalgiris joined the local Lithuanian league and won it 19 times ever since, always reaching the finals. Žalgris’ dominance in Lithuanian club basketball was, and still is, something that no one can dispute.
Today, Žalgiris is one of only 11 clubs that have a EuroLeague A-Licence, which guarantees their place in the most prestigious European basketball tournament. It looks like Žalgiris’ legacy is yet to reach its peak as the club still manages to surprise its fans and win even more trophies!
Eight of 13 Lithuanian basketball players who ever played in the NBA also played for Žalgiris, which only demonstrates how important Žalgiris is for Lithuanian basketball in general.
Arvydas Sabonis is, without a doubt, the biggest star to ever play for Kaunas Žalgiris. Sabonis is considered to be the best Lithuanian basketball player of all time, and his legacy has left a huge mark in the world of basketball.
Šarūnas Jasikevičius is Žalgiris’ current coach. He also played for the team in his early career. Šarūnas Jasikevičius is probably the best Lithuanian point guard ever, and one of the best point guards that European basketball has ever seen.
Paulius Jankūnas is the most notable Žalgiris player who is still playing for the club. He is one of the most talented and popular EuroLeague players and his legacy is set to remain in Žalgiris’ history for many years to come!
Before leaving to play for the NBA in America, Žydrūnas Ilgauskas was a proud member of the Žalgiris team.
American Tanoka Beard played for Žalgiris from 2003 to 2008, and is one of the fans’ favourite foreign players. He also holds the record of the best ever performance in the single EuroLeague game.
Another talent American basketball player, Tyus Edney, played for Žalgiris for just one season, but he helped the team win the EuroLeague, and was named the final’s Most Valuable Player.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.