Lithuanian dishes are heavily reliant upon root vegetables (potatoes and beetroot), meat and dairy products, which can all be grown in Lithuania’s cold climate. Filling, hearty, and meant to keep you warm from the inside, Lithuanian food is certainly something worth trying. Here are the top traditional Lithuanian dishes that have been passed down from grandparent to grandchild for centuries.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Starting off with Lithuania’s national dish, cepelinai are large dumplings made of a mixture of raw and cooked potato dough that is filled with pork and doused in a ladle of a sour cream and bacon sauce. Though originally called didzkukuliai, the name was changed to cepelinai in the 20th century because of their resemblance to zeppelin airships.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fried Bread (Kepta Duona)
Fried bread, or kepta duona, is Lithuanian dark rye bread that been fried in oil, seasoned with garlic and salt, and served with cheese sauce. Fried bread is frequently eaten as a snack to accompany beer and is a favorite comfort food that brings back warm memories for many Lithuanians.
Beetroot Soup (Burokėlių Sriuba)
Beetroot soup is another traditional dish from the Lithuanian cuisine. It is a warm, comforting soup made of beetroot, onion, carrot, and celery mixed with meat stock (usually pork) and seasoned with salt, pepper, and dill. When served, beetroot soup should be a beautiful red color and come with potatoes that are meant to be added to the soup.
Chilled Borscht (Saltibarsciai)
Served seasonally, this beetroot and kefir soup is accompanied by hardboiled eggs and boiled potatoes. Notably, chilled borscht is a shocking color of bright pink and is an indicator that warm weather has arrived in Lithuania.
Grybukai (Mushroom Cookies)
Don’t let the translated name mislead you, grybukai are not made with mushrooms, they simply are cookies shaped like mushrooms. Mouth-watering sweets of the Lithuanian food culture, grybukai are delicious little morsels flavored with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cardamom and glazed to create a white “stalk” and black “cap.”
Fried Curd Cakes
Fresh cheese curd is a staple in Lithuanian households and can be used to make numerous dishes. One favorite dish is fried cheese curd cakes, which is simply cheese curd mixed with a bit of flour, egg, and sugar that is fried in oil. Typically served with fresh berries and jam, cheese curd cakes can be enjoyed at any time of day.
Potatoes are truly king when it comes to Lithuanian food, and any number of potato dishes are eaten frequently throughout the week. Potato pancakes are a simple dish to make, comprising grated potatoes, onion, and eggs mixed together and fried in oil. They are served with dill, scallions, and sour cream.
Kibinai are tasty hand pies that are the national dish of the Kariate people, an ethnically Turkic group that has lived in Lithuania for centuries. A flaky, soft crust surrounding meat, vegetables, cheese curd, or berry jams makes kibinai a favorite snack or side to accompany soup.
Kugelis is a hearty, baked potato pudding or lasagna that sometimes incorporates meat and is served with lingonberry jam, bacon, or sour cream. As with most Lithuanian dishes, recipes vary from person to person, so a slice of kugelis may differ at each different venue, making it an exciting dish to try.
Raguolis or Sakotis
Raguolis, also called sakotis, is a traditional Lithuanian cake that is frequently served during special occasions such as weddings, Christmas Eve, and Easter. This cake is a large, hollow ring with what looks like horns or spines around the edges that are created from dripping batter as the cake is turned around and around on a spit-like cooker.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.