Riga is probably the most vibrant city in the Baltic States and there are plenty of things to see and do in this wonderful place. No matter who you are and what you love to do, your trip to Riga will be perfect if you visit these stunning attractions.
Latvian Ethnographic Open Air Museum
People who enjoy countryside and history will definitely love this outdoor museum. Also, it is a great chance to get familiar with Latvian traditions and everyday lives of Latvian peasants and villagers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Anyone who loves animals must visit Riga Zoo and meet hundreds of different creatures from tigers to lions to flamingos. The entry costs only six euros so is definitely a bargain!
Nativity Cathedral was converted from Orthodox to Lutheran during WWI but after the war, it came back to Orthodox. This stunning architectural masterpiece is without doubt a must-visit place in Riga, which will leave you amazed.
Riga Motor Museum
Riga Motor Museum has more than 100 vintage automobiles and motorcycles. Every moto fan must find some time to visit this place and learn more about the history of vehicles in the Baltic States throughout the years.
Riga Old Town
Riga Old Town is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site list and is without doubt the most beautiful part of Riga. You must visit to learn everything about Latvian culture, see unique architecture, and appreciate Latvian history.
Latvian National Theater
The Latvian National Theater is the biggest theater in Latvia, built between 1899-1902. Some of the most important cultural events take place here but even if you visit during the quiet hours, you will be amazed by the breathtaking beauty of the building itself.
If Americans are proud of the Statue of Liberty, then Latvians has their Freedom Monument! This huge 42-meters tall monument is an iconic symbol of Latvia, built to honor soldiers who died during the Latvian War of Independence in 1918-1920. Your trip to Riga won’t be complete until you see it.
Bremen Town Musicians
Bremen Town Musicians is a quirky statue of the legendary fairytale. It is located in Riga Old Town and is one of the most touristic spots as people come here to tell their children lovely stories and take nice photos.
Pērkons Saule Daugava
This is a must-visit for people who enjoy street art. Pērkons Saule Daugava is the biggest graffiti in the Baltic States, created by famous Latvian street artists, Rudens Stencil and Kiwie. More than 1,500 spray cans were used to make this 800 square meters graffiti!
Skyline Bar is the perfect place for people to grab a drink and see Riga from high above. It is one of the fanciest bars in Riga so if you want to have a romantic evening, make sure to book a table a couple of days before.
Noass is a contemporary culture center, located on floating platforms in the Daugava River. The entrance is free of charge and there are plenty of beautiful exhibits to visit. Also, a lot of cultural events take place in Noass. On top of that, you get the best panoramic views of Riga as a bonus, so make sure to pack your camera!
St. Peter’s Church
St. Peter’s Church is probably the most iconic church in Riga, which proudly stands by the Daugava River since 1209. It is even possible to climb to the top of the tower and enjoy beautiful views from up high.
Vērmanes Garden is the oldest park in Riga and one of the locals’ favorite places to run from the fast pace of city life. There are a lot of different events happening in the park every day and you can also meet friendly locals. All you need to bring is a good mood and maybe a blanket to sit.
St. Alexander Nevsky Church
St. Alexander Nevsky Church is a wonderful Orthodox church in Riga. No matter if you believe in God or not, you should visit this church and appreciate all the hard work which went into making this magnificent building. The church is stunning both inside and outside so make sure to take your time and explore it fully.
Victory Park is a small and beautiful park in Riga, with a huge Soviet monument in the middle. Even though the monument was created to celebrate the victory against Nazis in WWII, a lot of Latvians don’t fancy it because it reminds them too much of the Soviet Union.
Latvian Railway History Museum
Latvian Railway History Museum is one of the hidden gems in Riga, which you should definitely visit, especially if you like trains. There are a lot of old locomotives, railway equipment, tools, and other interesting exhibits in this museum.
Laima Clock is located close to Monument of Freedom and is definitely one of the most important spots in Riga. It used to be the meeting point for couples many years ago, so it still has a very romantic vibe.
Miera Iela is the hippest place in Latvia, where many local pubs and clubs are located. If you do have at least a little bit of hipster inside of you, you will love Miera Iela and all the crazy people in it!
National Library of Latvia
The National Library of Latvia is one of the most beautiful buildings in the country, considered to be an architectural phenomenon by many locals. After you enjoy the building, you might enjoy the inside of it even more! There are thousands of books about everything in the National Library, so if you want to learn Latvian history, you should definitely spend some time here.
Riga Synagogue is the only functioning synagogue in Riga so it is a must-visit for people who are close to Jewish culture and want to learn a little bit more about the lives of Latvian Jews throughout the years.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.